Long time Linux user now trying Salix

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
marvin

Long time Linux user now trying Salix

Post by marvin »

Hi

Long time mainly Linux user here, originally Debian then Ubuntu (various flavours) then back to Debian as Ubuntu lost it's way and now onto Salix as I'm fed up with Systemd.

Along the way I've tried all the usual variants of Linux's and various BSDs but never got comfortable with most of them.

Hoping Salix fits the bill, initially to run on my HTPC/server then on my laptop.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Long time Linux user now trying Salix

Post by gapan »

Hi marvin and welcome!

If you encounter any issues, don't be afraid to post here!
marvin

Post by marvin »

So far I like what I see with Salix, I've also been trying Devuan which is easier for me as it's similar to the Debian that I'm used to but I prefer Salix's philosophy so would prefer to stick with Salix if possible.

Yeah I got one or two probs....

I've upgraded my kernel to 5.10.4 as I couldn't get Xserver to work with my GPU with 4.4, I suspect the problem is my hardware is too new as it's an Asrock J5040-itx with Intel UHD Graphics 605.

1) I'm currently trying to get Kodi to work properly, it's thrashing the CPU when playing back videos as it's not offloading the decoding to the GPU.

2) Also I can't enable the PVR addons as they aren't available in the repos, according to Kodi on github I can compile them myself but first I've got to compile Kodi... sheesh!

thanks
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Not sure, but from what I can see here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware#Desktop
you probably need a newer mesa than the one in 14.2 to enable hardware decoding
marvin

Post by marvin »

gapan wrote: 10. Jan 2021, 09:55 Not sure, but from what I can see here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware#Desktop
you probably need a newer mesa than the one in 14.2 to enable hardware decoding
Well spotted, I haven't been looking at why the GPU wasn't being used at the moment but concentrating more on getting the PVR functions working.

Would I be better upgrading Salix to version 15 and then trying to get everything working on that rather than trying to use 14.2 which is undoubtedly very stable if a bit long in the tooth ?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

It might be a while until 15.0 is out, so I guess your best bet for now is staying with 14.2.

On the other hand, it might very well be that it won't be possible to build a newer mesa in 14.2, so you won't be able to make it work as you wish.
marvin

Post by marvin »

Thanks for all your help so far, I've not had time to play with it for a few days... hopefully will do at the weekend.