New Salix Fan

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
LibreLenny

New Salix Fan

Post by LibreLenny »

Three days ago I'd never heard of Slackware - and I definitely didn't know what Salix was.

I came across a video by DistroTube which gave Salix a pretty good review - and from the video, it looked awesome. So I downloaded it - and I now have it installed on:

- A 15 year old Toshiba NB300 Netbook with 2GB of RAM and an Atom CPU. It runs like a dream.
- An old HP I7 WITH 16GB ram
- A Virtual Box installation on my Dell 7480 with 32 GB RAM. The Salix installation has been given 2 cores and 4GB ram - and that's what I am typing from right now as I make my first post to this forum.

I have tried pretty much every major distro on over 20 laptops over the past 2 years. That's why it's funny I'd never heard of Slackware. I can tell you that even the lightest of light distros struggle to run on the Toshiba netbook. But Salix runs like a dream on it. After I saw how well it runs - and taking into account DistroTube's great review, and the fact that a bit of research shows that Slackware is the oldest running Linux distro, preceding all other distros and Salix got a new release after 4 years of waiting, with a recent kernel and the latest XFCE, which I am also a huge fan of, which has also just been updated after a long wait, I've become a MASSIVE fan of Salix.

Like I said, it's only been three days, but I've seen enough. I'm here to stay. Prior to Salix, I was using distros based on Debian - but not the Ubuntu derivatives, because imo, Canonical has become the Windows of Linux. I don't do Fedora because they're controlled by IBM. And Arch is just too hard. I haven't got the patience to mess with it. I need a stable production environment. I was pretty much left with Debian as my only remaining choice -- well, until I found Salix!

Since becoming a huge Salix fan, over the last 3 days, I've even created myself a Salix wallpaper and I have also created a Firefox theme and submitted it to Firefox for review.

I am so glad to be here. I've been hanging out at the IRC channel for the last 3 days too.

My Salix Wallpaper
My Salix Firefox Theme
The Submission to Firefox

A little about me

I'm a web developer and online marketer by day (employed full time) - and by night (and weekends) I have started an effort to promote libre-minded tools, software and projects. I'm really trying to scrape out the bottom of the barrel on the Internet for tools that aren't politically motivated (or backed). I'm a huge fan of FOSS. Even in my day job, I use Linux full time.

By the end of this year, I hope to have a solid online presence built out to promote such tools. I want to use my skills to promote the parallel economy and all non-mainsteam tools and platforms - exclusively. I don't do YouTube, Facebook, Twitter or Google. I even use a De-Googled phone. I am heavily into freedom and privacy. This is why I am looking for a distro that I can promote mainly to Christians (as I am a follower and servant of Christ), conservatives, non-woke and anyone else who just wants to use the Internet without becoming a number.

Even though I've been working on websites for over 20 years, my persona as: LibreLenny is only a couple of weeks old. As recently I'v eome to the conclusion that this world is going to hell in a handbasket if we don't try to stop all these globalists and tech oligarchs from corralling us into digital ghettos.

I'm currently building a website all work on the site and all marketing efforts to promote the site will be done with this Salix installation. I've already installed all the tools I need - and they all work fine. I will be recommending Salix from my website prominently.

Lastly, I just want to say to the Salix Team, well done guys! You are awesome!

I notice that Chriss Farrell is 75 years young, and still contributing to Linux. Thank you for all your hard work Chriss.

Tim Beech speaks Chinese, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Latin and Portuguese. Quite obviously a very intelligent person.

Dimitris Tzemos has an interest in Ancient cultures. Another interesting fellow.

And of course George Vlahavas, aka gapan. You're the man! Great job mate. You're awesome!
DidierSpaier

Re: New Salix Fan

Post by DidierSpaier »

Welcome to this forum!
LibreLenny

Post by LibreLenny »

Salix Ocean Storm just got approved :ugeek:
hugok

Post by hugok »

Welcome LibreLenny