I'm not a robot.

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
ponzu

I'm not a robot.

Post by ponzu »

Hello there, I'm human.
Let me tell you my story. I've always used Windows in my life and the other day I decided to ditch it. I guess I was bored or just wanted to expand my field of view a little. So I went on a research trip on the wild internet mountains and stumbled upon something with a weird name. It was Slackware. I read a bit about it and its derivatives and ultimately learned about Salix. I loved it at first glance, dunno why. Must be the green. I like green. Anyway I wanted to install it on my machine but I had no experience in doing so, I was scared it would be too complicated for a tech illiterate. I was wrong. Now I don't mean to say I know what every part of the installation process was about and I'll be honest this laptop is probably not too Linux friendly but hey, I'm writing this from a successful Salix installation so I guess I did good all things considered.
That was my story, thank you.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: I'm not a robot.

Post by gapan »

Hi ponzu, welcome! Glad you like it! Don't hesitate to post here if you have any issues.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Welcome! Please let us know if you should encounter any teething problems.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Welcome ponzu.
ponzu

Post by ponzu »

Thanks guys.
I'm not having any serious troubles so far, outside of not being able to remove the title bar from Firefox. Screen is not big and I need all the space I can get with my programs. :)
galmei

Post by galmei »

Hello ponzu,
ponzu wrote: 22. Sep 2022, 13:12 I'm not a robot.
Neither am I!
ponzu wrote: 23. Sep 2022, 12:04 [...]outside of not being able to remove the title bar from Firefox.
However, you can temporarily hide the Firefox title bar with the F11 key. Pressing the F11 key again returns the default display mode.
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

Welcome to the world of Linux. It's damn complicated, but your knowledge will grow and soon, you'll be able to rule the world with your little laptop! Muhahaa!
ponzu wrote: 22. Sep 2022, 13:12...this laptop is probably not too Linux friendly...
Tell us more about your machine. Which parts would you consider Linux unfriendly?
ponzu

Post by ponzu »

galmei wrote: 23. Sep 2022, 16:05However, you can temporarily hide the Firefox title bar with the F11 key. Pressing the F11 key again returns the default display mode.
Oh that's what I've been doing. It works so I can't complain.
Bird wrote: 23. Sep 2022, 16:45Tell us more about your machine. Which parts would you consider Linux unfriendly?
It's a HP Stream 14 if I'm not mistaken. I don't know, it might be just me and my inexperience with all this but the first time I tried installing Salix it just didn't boot up despite completing the installation process. I think I did something wrong at the partitioning part and EFI especially was a tricky thing to figure out. I honestly still have no idea what exactly I did to have it install properly but here I am. :P

One thing I'm concerned about: this laptop's drive is only 58GB and there's a lot of pre-installed programs I don't need, would it be advisable to get rid of them?
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

@ponzu: It depends, where you would like to go with your laptop. If you're looking to archive (lots of) photos and videos for example, that 60GB MMC memory will be full soon. If you just want to use some programs, that should be fine. Also, uninstalling some programs will only give you about 1-2 GB probably, so that wouldn't solve the problem. The easiest upgrade of disk space would probably be with USB drives. Or maybe a proper SSD or HDD, if there is any room in that laptop.

You could also re-install Salix and select instead of "Full" one of the other options (one option is a command line only, one option has the graphical interface with less programs). That way there will be less programs.

I prefer Legacy mode in the BIOS/EFI settings. That way, you don't need to create an EFI partition. Just a Linux partition (which will be formatted then later as ext4 or xfs) and a Linux swap partition on a regular hard disk drive. Dual-booting to a newer Windows might be problematic though.
ponzu

Post by ponzu »

Yes of course I have a bunch of external drives at my disposal since even at a glance trying to open up this little rascal seems like a huge pain. :D
Maybe I should've taken my time with the installation, I quickly went with "Full" precisely because I was scared going with one of the other options would've gotten me a text-only OS in the end. I think I will document myself some more and then try to install it again in the near future as an exercise of sort. :ugeek: