My Salix Wallpapers

The place to post your Salix wallpapers, screenshots etc.
loukingjr

My Salix Wallpapers

Post by loukingjr »

I posted five Salix wallpapers Here

to download, click on one of the thumbnails, click the magnifying glass, then right click on that image.
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
danharris

Re: My Salix Wallpapers

Post by danharris »

i like that backdrop....i ve always hated the default artwork
zenwolf

Post by zenwolf »

nice wallpaper, but can not lay out 'Thirteen KDE' in the caption
My Slackware chapter - http://unixforum.org/index.php?showforum=19 (Russian forum on Unix)
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

Here you go...
Get It Here
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
zenwolf

Post by zenwolf »

My Slackware chapter - http://unixforum.org/index.php?showforum=19 (Russian forum on Unix)
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

Hi, Louis,

Thank you for creating those wallpapers; they are very nice. I like the design named "wallpaper II" (with the small bonsai tree and "Salix OS" beneath it) and am currently using it.

I don't usually go for dark wallpaper and themes, but I appreciate the simplicity of the design and the vertical color gradient (?) from darker to lighter. (I'm not a graphics person, so I don't know the correct terminology ...).

Thanks again for sharing your work.
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
dpeirce

Post by dpeirce »

I feel stupid for asking this question, but how do I change wallpapers in Salix 13.1.2?

I've installed Salix in Virtualbox 3.2.12 (PCLinuxOS host) and would dearly like to change the default wallpaper to something else. I've been through the Control Panel but have missed the part where the wallpapers can be changed or new ones gotten.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Linux can do an infinite loop in 5 seconds.
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

Hi, Dave,

(This answer assumes that you're using the Xfce version of Salix 13.1.2). Don't worry; it's not a dumb question and fortunately, it's very easy to change the wallpaper. There are a couple of methods to do it:

First, download the wallpaper(s) you're interested in and save them somewhere in your /home folder, or in your Pictures folder, or even in a newly created Wallpaper folder -- it's your choice where you'd like to put them.

Next,
1. Go the main menu (labelled "Salix") in the lower left-hand corner of the taskbar.
2. Choose Settings.
3. Choose Desktop (under the Xfce 4 Settings Manager).
4. You should see a window like the screenshot shown here:

http://img836.imageshack.us/i/xfcedesktopbackgnd.png/

5. Click on the green "+" (plus) button to navigate to the folder where your wallpaper is and select it.

Alternate method:

1. Right-click anywhere on your empty Salix desktop.
2. Choose Desktop Settings.
3. You should see a window like the screenshot above.
4. Click on the green "+" (plus) button to navigate to the folder where your wallpaper is and select it.

If you're new to Xfce and want to learn some of the basics about this desktop environment, you might want to download the PCLinuxOS Magazine special issue on the Xfce DE. It is mostly distro-neutral and is a good starting point:

http://pclosmag.com/index.php/downloads
(Look for the "Gtk Lightweight Desktops: Xfce & LXDE S[pecial] E[dition]")

HTH,
=david (another PCLOS user who's having fun with Salix OS)

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
dpeirce

Post by dpeirce »

Cowboy, my bad and I apologize. Actually, I'm using KDE in Salix and I should have specified that.

I've used Xfce from time to time, but KDE seems to be my go-to desktop environment. I'm also running EasyPeasy, Mepis MintDebian, SalineOS, Zorin, Debian, Chakra, Aptosid, Netrunner, and PC-BSD in VB currently. I even have a virtual PCLOS so I can try out weird stuff without busting my main system.

Re KDE and wallpapers in Salix, I feel like I'm probably overlooking something totally obvious but can't figure out what it is.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on my computer?"
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

Although I don't know which version of KDE 4 is being used in Salix, I'm guessing that its desktop background would be changed in a manner similar to the following:

[In KDE 4.6.1, PCLinuxOS]:

1. Right-click anywhere on your empty desktop.

2. Choose "Folder View Settings".

3. You will likely see something similar to the screenshot below:

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/9859 ... ackgnd.png

4. Click on the "Open" button to navigate wherever you saved your newly downloaded wallpaper(s).

----------

[In KDE 4.5.5, Pardus 2011]

1. Right-click anywhere on your empty desktop.

2. Choose "Desktop Settings".

3. You will likely see something similar to this screenshot:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3214 ... backgn.png

4. Click the "Open" button to navigate to wherever you saved your newly downloaded wallpaper(s).

HTH.