Wallpaper thoughts

The place to post your Salix wallpapers, screenshots etc.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Wallpaper thoughts

Post by Akuna »

gapan wrote:
thenktor wrote:IMHO we should not be bound to defined colors. Looking at the same colors all the time gets boring. We already have the tree to get recognized.
+1
Why not... there are pluses & minuses both ways, however the other point about not overcharging (especially the left part of the) desktop with too many visual element is definitely important & good common sense. :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Kristho

Post by Kristho »

I have made a little wallpaper guideline to show what my point is:

http://code-geek.baah.dk/inkscape/wallp ... line01.png

This illustrate how I think wallpapers should be designed.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I have removed the icons to be shown on the desktop, so I don't care for myself :)
lmello

Post by lmello »

First reaction of non-tech people who take a look at Salix:

"What a pretty wallpaper!"

I'm not joking, I swear! Everybody both at home and at work loved the artwork.
Windtalker

Post by Windtalker »

The conversation is a bit old I realize but I would be inclined to agree on one being able to see ones icons against the wallpaper.
I have a ton of icons on my desktop because I use a lot of tools daily.
By daily I mean I use this box for a living seven days a week and depend on my desktop shortcuts.
I would be careful of selecting some colors on a background.
The default for 13.1 is agreeable to me, if it weren't I'd change it.
Then again I know how as well as know how to add to the library if none were there I didn't care for.
There are many that won't know how to do either and with Salix being easy to install, I would think that many newcomers to 'nix will be installing Salix.
I suggest being careful because the colors that some distro's have chosen don't exactly float my boat whatsoever.
I don't mean to make my statements sound as if they are a slam to any distro, but the colors already mentioned were brown, green and blue and I've ran those distro's also.
Some like those colors I'm sure.
For me, a dark brown background on my monitor makes me feel like I'm looking at an oblong giant turd.
Green,,,,, I spent five years in the military wearing OD green during the Viet Nam war era.....
Green is far from being my favorite color.
As I already stated, I really could care less what the default wallpaper is, I can always change it and I place more emphasis on reliability and performance anyway, and rightly so.
Linux has the built in beauty of accepting changes.
However, newcomers to 'nix aren't always aware of this fact.
I've already stated in another thread that I build websites as a part of my living.
There is a supposed study that I ran across awhile back that suggests that a light blue is what people will seem to find most pleasing and it suggests to use that color as a website background in some way.
I know I prefer it as it seems to be easier on the eyes and amplifies an off white background table easier drawing attention back to the text in the table.
Another study that I read suggests that psychologically, gold or silver will give a mental impression of value.
I dunno if gold or silver or a combination would be colors I would recommend for a distro or not.
I guess it would depend on how they were put together and in what shades.
Anyway, an interesting read so far.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Windtalker wrote:The conversation is a bit old I realize but I would be inclined to agree on one being able to see ones icons against the wallpaper.
I have a ton of icons on my desktop because I use a lot of tools daily.
By daily I mean I use this box for a living seven days a week and depend on my desktop shortcuts.
In the past I used to have a lot of icon on my desktop, too. But at some point I've realized that using a good [alt]+[f2] run utility with auto completion on [tab] is way faster than searching the icon on the desktop and clicking it. :geek: :P :mrgreen:

PS: I'm using "gmrun".
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

thenktor wrote:In the past I used to have a lot of icon on my desktop, too. But at some point I've realized that using a good [alt]+[f2] run utility with auto completion on [tab] is way faster than searching the icon on the desktop and clicking it. :geek: :P :mrgreen:
THIS!!! I couldn't agree more with you!
besides, using desktop shortcuts/icons is so "the 90's" :P (just kidding) :mrgreen:

joking aside, you could do better with a good launcher or dock app or both, as you can acces apps or files more quickly, plus having less or no icons in the desktop could help giving a sense or order an tranquility, as opposed to have a million icons in there and feel oppressed and uneasy, but that's just my opinion :P

I personally use dmenu in scrotWM, but I think that is taking things a little too far... :ugeek:
ray

Post by ray »

Switch to Gnome-Shell :D

The desktop is clean by default and you can switch to the Overview mode to see running apps, lanchers and recent docs. What else does one need :D
Windtalker

Post by Windtalker »

I'm no different than anyone else in that I'll use what I'm used to.
We all place/d our icons in a specific spot to know where they are.
I just counted mine and I have 30 on my desktop not counting what I've added to the panel.
4 are the default XFCE icons and I use them.
Of the rest, 16 are work related and 6 of those 16 are launchers such as Filezilla, Crossover, xvidcap, Foxit Phantom etc.
The rest are project folders I'm working on plus a catch all folder I keep whatever in that I want to back up along with the project folders at the end of the day.
I'm comfortable with icons and they're adequate.
I don't have to memorize their names nor find them in a list.
What I really need is a wider monitor or spring for dual monitors because when I'm doing research I normally have 3 - 4 workspaces open and flipping between them due to the fact the panel is only so wide and can only list so much of what is open and running.
I've gotten so used to it that if my box doesn't look busy, I ain't happy. :lol:

As an aside, I have some icons I want to use for my desktop folders, could someone point me to how that is done or at least give me a hint where they are stored?
Thx.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

A new idea for a wallpaper: !!!

A small island in the sea and a pirate on the land with the well know Salix tree and very dark blue/black sky and instead of a regular white/yellow moon (or sun if you will) there will the Slackware logo (advisable to be an inclined logo and not straight)

I got this idea while viewing at This Feed of Slackware Art and these two posts:
a. Moon idea - 1 wallpaper, 2 display resolutions
b. Pirate idea - my latest Slackware desktop:
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix