[FIXED] Invalid keyboard layout related to locale

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Invalid keyboard layout related to locale

Post by gapan »

Yes, I can see the error. Will fix it a bit later (watching football now... :P ) .
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I edited my post and already send you the patched line :)

Enjoy the match ^_^
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

releasedinjapan wrote:Note: I also tried the keyboard in a VT outside of X. Letters with accents wouldn't display when I pressed the key, just nothing happened when pressing éöàäèü etc.
Same thing happens for me with greek accented letters. Can view them properly, but not type them. I think it has to do with the font we're using. But apart from the terminus font we're using, I don't know any other font that will at least display all languages properly. You can try to set another console font with setfont I guess...
releasedinjapan

Post by releasedinjapan »

Good news, the keyboard layout is the good one this time :) I can add [FIXED] to the title of this topic.
Same thing happens for me with greek accented letters. Can view them properly, but not type them. I think it has to do with the font we're using. But apart from the terminus font we're using, I don't know any other font that will at least display all languages properly. You can try to set another console font with setfont I guess...
The lat9w family of fonts is also known to handle a wide range of unicode and non-unicode characters. Unfortunately even with other fonts, framebuffer activated, /etc/profile.d/lang.sh checked and system rebooted, I still do not have accented letter. I guess I can live with that but I'm curious to know why these letters don't display. Searching on the web didn't bring any answer.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: [FIXED] Invalid keyboard layout related to locale

Post by JRD »

non-unicode characters
There is no such thing as non-unicode character (appart if you speak of some type of hieroglyphs that has been chosen to not be included in unicode).
The Linux console is currently known to be buggy with utf8 (and hence unicode).
Can you describe how to reproduce the problem please ? (what keymap, lang, which key to hit on the keyboard, what chars need to be produce)
releasedinjapan

There is no such thing as non-unicode character (appart if you speak of some type of hieroglyphs that has been chosen to not be included in unicode).
It was late in the evening, forget that :lol:

I was using fr_CH.map, with fr_CH.utf8 locale. With this keyboard layout one can type directly some accented letters, like "è" (usually at the right of the "p" key) or "é" and "à" (the two keys at the right of the "l" key - since you come from Lyon, "é" would be on the "m" key on a French AZERTY keyboard).

Try them in a X session, they are working. In the Linux console, it's like if no key was pressed.

I don't remember having had this problem in other Linux distros (even BSDs IIRC), but since I changed my computer recently it may be an hardware related issue.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Thank you, I'll check on an azerty keyboard this evening. Maybe the fr_CH.map is buggy...
releasedinjapan

Hem... It turns out all I needed was to use fr_CH-latin1 instead, which provides a more complete keymap. I'm still not accustomed to Swiss keyboards and thought that latin1 would provide an older version :lol: Sorry for the noise.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Great then! :)