Installer, user configuration and first boot

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
releasedinjapan

Installer, user configuration and first boot

Post by releasedinjapan »

Hi,

There is a potential minor issue in Salix's installation process. When installing, you are not required to create a standard user and you can skip this step. The problem is that after installation Salix boots automatically in graphic mode and you land on GDM, where you can't log in if you don't have another user than root.

It happened to me when I wanted to do a quick test of Salix in a virtual machine (I was accostumed to Live-CD that allow you to log as root, albeit it's bad ;) ). And I wasn't able to switch to another VT since it was into a virtual machine :D I think that as Salix is primarily a desktop OS, creating a standard user may be mandatory.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Installer, user configuration and first boot

Post by JRD »

Not a direct response but in VirtualBox, hit "rightContrl + F2" for example, will switch you the the F2 console. "rightControl" is equivalent of "ctrl+alt" in real mode.

The installer may also have a simple or expert mode regarding user creation.
The simple mode should just ask one username and one password. Most people will only create one user on his/her PC, and may create more users later if needed, not at installation process.
All the questions about "Work Phone number" of the account and the like is, in quite most cases, useless for anybody.

Currently, when creating a account in the installation process, you need to hit "exit" at the end, and you never get a confirmation message that the account has been created. I'm used to Slackware installer so no problem for me, but I'm sure it may sound a bit weird to other people.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

No, you are not required to create an unprivileged user account during the setup process, but you get a complete screen of information, just before inputting the root user password, that tells you that you must create one if you want to be able to log in to graphical mode. Remember that the Salix ISO also has a "core" installation mode and in any case we don't want to force user creation to someone who doesn't want to do it. I believe the information in that screen is enough. If you choose not to read instructions, then you're supposed to know how to get yourself out of trouble. ;)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

gapan wrote:If you choose not to read instructions, then you're supposed to know how to get yourself out of trouble. ;)
I agree, but it's the point. If you just "read" the instructions, you cannot know if you have created correctly an account or not. And "exit" should be renamed to "done". It's not easy to understand that you just "exit a sub-process", not the installation or anything else.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

JRD wrote:The installer may also have a simple or expert mode regarding user creation.
The simple mode should just ask one username and one password. Most people will only create one user on his/her PC, and may create more users later if needed, not at installation process.
All the questions about "Work Phone number" of the account and the like is, in quite most cases, useless for anybody.
This is a really good idea. I think user name, real name and password would be the best choice for simple mode.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

JRD wrote:I agree, but it's the point. If you just "read" the instructions, you cannot know if you have created correctly an account or not.
What do you mean by "correctly"? If you have gone through the user creation process, there is no chance that you did something incorrectly. An in fact you can see if the user was created. There is a "List all users" option. If the user you just created is listed in there, then you're OK.
JRD wrote:And "exit" should be renamed to "done". It's not easy to understand that you just "exit a sub-process", not the installation or anything else.
I guess you're right about that. "Exit" should probably be renamed to "Done" and "OK" to "Edit"
thenktor wrote:
JRD wrote:All the questions about "Work Phone number" of the account and the like is, in quite most cases, useless for anybody.
This is a really good idea. I think user name, real name and password would be the best choice for simple mode.
Yes, I agree, few people only use those. During installation, only the basic info should be asked for.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:I guess you're right about that. "Exit" should probably be renamed to "Done" and "OK" to "Edit"
+1 ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)