Viewnior does not recognize .svgz file format

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
burdi01

Viewnior does not recognize .svgz file format

Post by burdi01 »

Salix 14.0 -- fixes up to date.
When running viewnior for a .svgz file no image is displayed and instead a "Couldn't recognize the image file format for '/home/burdi01/Desktop/aurora.svgz'" message is given.
After gunzipping that .svgz to a .svg viewnior can display that .svg without any problems.
:mrgreen:
jayseye

Re: Viewnior does not recognize .svgz file format

Post by jayseye »

Have you checked this issue upstream? While Viewnoir seems like a minimalist utility, they might be receptive to a feature request such as this.
burdi01

Post by burdi01 »

To be honest I did not check upstream as googling gave me the impression that the problem is salix-specific and maybe not related to viewnior even.
I just checked https://bugs.launchpad.net/viewnior: .svgz is not mentioned.

I know that in Slackware Current with Trinity 3.5.13.1:
-- Konqueror can display the .svgz -- using the "KSVG Rendering Backend - Libart"
-- Gwenview can display the .svgz
whereas e.g. showFoto and KView cannot.

To my surprise in Xubuntu 12.04 gThumb is also not able to display a .svgz ...

Back to Salix: As it turns out Midori and Firefox are also not able to display a .svgz ...

In view of the above the "severity" of this problem should be lower than I initially estimated.
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

First of all, congratulations are in order: Googling for "viewnior" ".svgz" turns up exactly one match: this thread :cool:

Support for .svgz seems to be relatively scarce, based on searching the page for svgz at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.svgz

So really this format may be appropriate as a feature request upstream. Support might be trivial, since the compression format itself is completely standard. If you can cite a use case and ask nicely, they might implement it ASAP just to avoid it cluttering up the tracker :wink:

Interestingly, in Firefox with NoScript engaged, I have to explicitly enable permission on the w3c test page http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/te ... -01-t.html That likely indicates that Firefox runs gunzip before rendering the file.
burdi01

Post by burdi01 »

I created a viewnior "blueprint" to support svgz images.
I have no specific usecase other than that I stumbled upon the problem when looking with viewnior at some KDE/Trinity wallpapers.
The list of the open blueprints is long indeed ...
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Thanks, would you like to post a link to your blueprint here?

Also, did I understand correctly, that Trinity is available for Slackware -current :?: I've yet to find it. Thank you in advance for any leads!
burdi01

Post by burdi01 »

The blueprint is at https://blueprints.launchpad.net/viewnior - scroll down to "svgz".

Up to and including KDE 3.5.10 I built things myself. With subsequent Slackware Current "releases" all I had to do was copy a few "old" libraries. But slowly 3.5.10 started to show its age -- e.g. it did not know of the .xz compression method.
Therefore I installed the Trinity 3.5.13 binaries as distributed for Slackware 13.1 -- I did this in the Slackware 13.37 "era" and needed some "old" libraries again.
Then in October last year Trinity 3.5.13.1 was released, but alas without binaries for Slackware.
I tried the http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/sdeg/t ... esktop.htm instructions: after two full days of fighting (with my up to 2.9 MB/sec internet connection downloading the git took 7 hours already) I still had not compiled even one module.
Then I decided to "steal" the binaries from a Fedora live CD -- http://www.trinitydesktop.org/wiki/bin/ ... on/LiveCDs.

These are my notes:

Code: Select all

Kde / Trinity 3.5.13.1
=============
(c) DLCB 14/11-2012

0. Starting point is the Slackware Trinity 3.5.13 installation.
   Instead of recompiling the whole of Trintiy I chose to use the Trinity
   3.5.13.1 installation from the TDE_FC17_i386 Fedora live ISO.
1. Remove the /var/log/{packages,scripts}/* ENTRIES as listed in
   /Kde35131/attic/Kde3513/packages.
2. Replace the /opt/trinity/ directory by a direct dump of the /opt/trinity/
   directory from the Fedora ISO.
3. Installpkg the hal, hal-info, kdeextra and qt3 packages.
   Both hal packages come from Slackware 13.37.
   The kdeextra package adds the missing libraries from the Fedora ISO
   as well as replacements from Trinity 3.5.13 for kdm* (the Fedora versions
   depend on PAM) and kuser/kppp3 (which on the Fedora ISO point to
   Fedora-specific programs).
4. Replace the /usr/local/bin/@kde script by the installed/@kde one.
5. In /etc/ld.so.conf remove all /usr/trinity/* entries but the
   /usr/trinity/lib one and rerun ldconfig.
   For one reason or another kdm ignores the LD_LIBARY_PATH.
6. Symlink the /opt/trinity/share/wallpapers/Forrest.jpg to
   /usr/local/share/wallpapers/Forrest.jpg.
7. In the systray quit KPowersave and choose to NOT start KPowersave at logon.
8. In the systray exit KSensors and rename /opt/trinity/share/autostart/
   ksensors.desktop to ~.
9. Run the installed/_kdeinstalled kde script.
This is an all-inclusive installation, so rather "fat" -- 4.5 GB, 1.5 GB tar gzipped. Yum removing the unnecessary RPMs turned out to be a hell of a job because of the dependency checking.
So I tried a selection of the DEBS from the Ubuntu live CD -- DEBs can be converted to TGZs quite easily. The DEB control data's (doinst.sh's in Slackware parlance) turned out to contain nothing of interest, so it was just installpkg'ing the TGZs. However the configuration data and binaries were much more dispersed over the whole of the filesystem -- sending me on search errands again and again -- whereas the Fedora setup was much more compact (almost everything in /opt/trinity). I stayed with the Fedora binaries.

Trinity 3.5.13.1 still has its problems, and I never got friends with Kde 4. I therefore installed the Slackware Xfce packages and found the result to be a very incomplete experience. Enter Salix ...
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Wow, I really liked KDE3, and have yet to actually appreciate KDE4. However your efforts show a serious dedication to Trinity. By comparison I guess that makes me merely curious. :-|

And lazy. Settled on Fluxbox as the least common denominator for both old and new PCs, and mostly stuck with that up 'til Slackware 14. Now I've learned to appreciate XFCE in Salix 14, and OpenBox in Slackel. Razorqt is available in the repo too.

Thanks for the blueprint link. Hope that you'll update this thread if they do implement .svgz support in ViewNoir.