fontconfig warning in 14.1RC2

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
justwantin

fontconfig warning in 14.1RC2

Post by justwantin »

I did a clean install of RC2 yesterday and then copied in my previous home/user directory. Today while working on a script using yad I noticed fontconfig error when testing the script in a terminal.

Code: Select all

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
I did not get this warning when running yad in a newly created guest account so this must be the result of some legacy configuration in my home/user directory.

While the warning is never seen if running yad gui, commenting out lines 13 and 14 in /etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user,conf eliminates the warning message.

</snipped>
<!-- the following elements will be removed in the future -->
	<!-- <include ignore_missing="yes" deprecated="yes">~/.fonts.conf.d</include>
	<include ignore_missing="yes" deprecated="yes">~/.fonts.conf</include> -->
</fontconfig>
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: fontconfig warning in 14.1RC2

Post by gapan »

Well, first of all, this is not an error. As it says clearly, it's just a warning.

I don't get anything like that here and since you say that with a fresh account it you don't get anything either, I'm not sure what made you think this is a bug.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

In general, reusing /home like that is likely not to work smoothly, because of all the config files it contains. RC2 is nearly identical to RC1 (if that's what you installed it on top of) so this might be exepcted to be an exception. Indeed, as gapan says, it's just a harmless-looking warning; and given it's not reproduced with a new user, it must be either something you did or something different in RC2.

One strategy that works well for *sharing* home even between different distributions when multibooting (where the configuration files are guaranteed to cause problems) is to leave /home in the / partition, and create a separate /data partition (or whatever name, but mounted in /etc/fstab); then symlink your ~/Downloads ~/Documents etc directories to ones you create there; or else, the new installation's /home (inside its root partition) can replace those directories with symlinks to the ones in the other one.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
As pointed out, this is a warning not an error. What it says is that the directory, ~/.fonts.conf where it found your font configuration files is deprecated. Apparently the developers of the freedesktop.org fontconfig library are in the process of moving the default location from ~/.fontconfig to ~/.config/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf. The current fontconfig library used in 14.1RC2 (and RC1) still checks both locations for the users font configuration, but issues a warning if it finds them in ~/.fontconf. It should still work, but as they say you have been warned. It may not work in future releases of the fontconfig library. Your previous home directory, I'm guessing from a 14.0 install, obviously was using the ~/.fontconfig location. It will still work, but you will be getting this warning.

By editing the /etc/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user,con as you did you have in effect "killed the messenger" and did not fix any bugs. If you want to get rid of the message and be in compliance with current fontconfig library defaults the do the following:

mkdir -p $HOME/.config/fontconfig
mv $HOME/.fonts.conf $HOME/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"