[SOLVED] [14.1 MATE] Dedicated icon for a USB memory-stick?

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
john256

[SOLVED] [14.1 MATE] Dedicated icon for a USB memory-stick?

Post by john256 »

When mounting a USB memory-stick, it is shown on the desktop as a generic document icon [1], while it would be great if the shortcut gets a dedicated one, for example like the one from the Tango icon set [2].

[1]: Image
[2]: Image

Edit: Marked post as "SOLVED".
Last edited by john256 on 18. Jan 2015, 18:47, edited 2 times in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: [Salix 14.1 MATE] Dedicated icon for a USB memory-stick?

Post by gapan »

That is a problem with your usb stick and it is definitely not a bug with salix. It has probably been infected by a windows virus which changes the icon so it shows up as a document. If you showed the contents of the usb drive, then we could probably find the offender.
john256

Post by john256 »

gapan wrote:That is a problem with your usb stick and it is definitely not a bug with salix. It has probably been infected by a windows virus which changes the icon so it shows up as a document. If you showed the contents of the usb drive, then we could probably find the offender.
This is a new USB stick that has never been used under windows, so it couldn't have been infected. It is currently full of *.ogg music-files that I have encoded; I checked it in mc and didn't find nothing suspicious, though...

Later I'll try to reformat it and will report back.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

If it's a new usb stick, it's probably because of all the crapware that manufacturers put on them.

The fact is that MATE reads the icon file from the device itself, if one is set for it. If there is none set, it uses a generic icon (the one you're looking for).
john256

Post by john256 »

gapan wrote:If it's a new usb stick, it's probably because of all the crapware that manufacturers put on them.

The fact is that MATE reads the icon file from the device itself, if one is set for it. If there is none set, it uses a generic icon (the one you're looking for).
This seems reasonable - I found my first USB memory stick (that has the "capacity" of 256MB) and it indeed shows a device icon...
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: [Solved] [14.1 MATE] Dedicated icon for a USB memory-sti

Post by gapan »

If I remember correctly, setting the device icon in windows works with using a something.inf file in the root directory of the drive. If you have such a file with an .inf extension, delete it, unmount and unplug the drive and then reattach it. I might be mistaken about the .inf file though.
john256

Re: [Solved] [14.1 MATE] Dedicated icon for a USB memory-sti

Post by john256 »

After your first reply, I looked to see if there are any hidden/system files on the memory-stick, but there were none...

Later, when I manage to transfer all the data (~32GB) from my current USB-memory I'll reformat it to see if that changes the icon. But now as this does not appear to be a bug, I'm hapy ;-)