Wicd and broadcom bcm4312

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
tetragono

Wicd and broadcom bcm4312

Post by tetragono »

Hi.
I don't know if it's a bug of Salix, or a bug in my head... anyway:
1) I installed Salix 14.1 in my laptop (a compaq 615);
2) I changed the kernel to 3.17.6 with bfs because I would like to make music with this laptop;
3) I installed the past version of Salix in this notebook (14), but I never managed to make my broadcom to work (while was working in the past with slackware based distro with pre 3.x kernels, through wl driver).
4) Before Salix, I had Zenwalk with the same kernel (3.17.6 bfs); wireless was working without problem with b43 module.
5) So I expected that my bcm4313 would have worked the same on Salix, after accomplished all the necessary steps to make it works on slackware and slackware based distro.
6) The interface was not working at all!!! Worst, something disabled (I don't know what) the interface itself; It was like something disabled it in the bios, because after rebooting, the system was not seeing that I have a wireless interface. The only way to make see it to the system was to enter bios and set it to default settings.
7) As a last chance, I resolved to uninstall wicd; Zenwalk has networkmanager with its applet; I installed networkmanager and - voilà - all is working with b43 module.

At the end: how is it possible that wicd could mess up my hardware this way? Really, the interface was disabled at hardware level; I mean, an lspci didn't show any wireless interface with wicd running!

Forgive my long post, I hope I have been clear in my explanation.
Thanks a lot for your effort in this very good distro, apart for two or three things I don't like (yes, I'm a pain in the neck) is really very nice even for the less expert.
Thanks again.

Sim
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Wicd and broadcom bcm4312

Post by gapan »

What you're describing is not possible. You're missing something.
zAchAry

Re: Wicd and broadcom bcm4312

Post by zAchAry »

Did you check in Wicd Preferences that Wireless interface is set to wlan0 (or whatever interface name according to ifconfig or iwconfig)?
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix