Network problems

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
doll0x032

Network problems

Post by doll0x032 »

I installed Salix 14.1 Xfce, 32 bit about 3 weeks ago, last update was about 20.11.15. Yesterday (23.11.2015) I could not connect the Internet. I have PPPoE connection rised (pppoe-status and ifconfig see it) but the problem is DNS. When I ping some host by name (ping ya.ru) it answers: unknown host ya.ru. But when I ping for example 8.8.8.8 it's ok, 0% packets lost. In /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf I have DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 . I also typed in /etc/ppp/resolv.conf :
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
How can I restore connection?
maximus

Re: Network problems

Post by maximus »

I'd double check that /etc/resolv.conf does in fact include the nameservers you added ( /etc/ppp/resolv.conf should be a symlink to /etc/resolv.conf, in which case everything should be correct).

I haven't ever needed to use PPPoE, but looking after looking through pppoe.conf I'd also check that the "dnstype" variable reads "DNSTYPE=SPECIFY" and the "peerdns" variable reads "PEERDNS=no".

Sorry I can't be of more help :oops: Good luck!
westms

Post by westms »

doll0x032 wrote:I installed Salix 14.1 Xfce, 32 bit about 3 weeks ago, last update was about 20.11.15. Yesterday (23.11.2015) I could not connect the Internet. I have PPPoE connection rised (pppoe-status and ifconfig see it) but the problem is DNS. When I ping some host by name (ping ya.ru) it answers: unknown host ya.ru. But when I ping for example 8.8.8.8 it's ok, 0% packets lost. In /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf I have DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 . I also typed in /etc/ppp/resolv.conf :
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
How can I restore connection?
If it is a full installation and nothing has changed at the network access, then WICD is used. WICD fills /etc/ppp/resolv.conf with data, or let fill the file. It is therefore pointless to modify this file by hand.

In my LAN construction and configuration the DSL router provides the values ​​for the variables domain and nameserver (and more). Sometimes (about once a quarter) it does not work. Then reboot helps.

Of course, it is a problem with DNS. Without an known nameserver address (that's what I assume), name resolving can not work.

To get a working connection, restart the whole inet thing or reboot Salix.
doll0x032

Post by doll0x032 »

Thanks a lot. You are lucky having not to use PPPoE :).
Last edited by doll0x032 on 25. Nov 2015, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
doll0x032

Post by doll0x032 »

Thanks a lot. It is the full installstion and I tried first of all to restart network and then reboot Salix but it did not work. So it seems like I have to make a script that would fill the files like /etc/resolv.conf. Or maybe reinstall the system and not to upgrade... And T did not use WICD to configure my network, but I used pppoe-setup. As far as I understood WICD have no opportunity to configure PPPoE.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

If you're not using wicd at all, disable the service and remove it from your system. Reboot. Then change the contents of /etc/resolv.conf.

/etc/ppp/resolv.conf should just be a symlink to /etc/resolv.conf
westms

Post by westms »

doll0x032 wrote:Thanks a lot. You are lucky having not to use PPPoE :).
I do use PPPoE, but between router and modem / internet service provider. :)
If you are connect your computer directly to a modem, then you have a different construction.
westms

Post by westms »

doll0x032 wrote:Thanks a lot. It is the full installstion and I tried first of all to restart network and then reboot Salix but it did not work. So it seems like I have to make a script that would fill the files like /etc/resolv.conf. Or maybe reinstall the system and not to upgrade... And T did not use WICD to configure my network, but I used pppoe-setup.
After your previous message, I must assume that you do not use a router.

I remember that you wrote, the installation was already running for three weeks. Then you did an update and then had a problem with DNS. Are you quite sure that after the update, the configuration has not changed?

Perhaps some of downloaded packages have been damaged and this disorder is a consequence.

What kind of update was it? Was WICD affected by this update? What WICD version is it after the update?
As far as I understood WICD have no opportunity to configure PPPoE.
Yes, WICD can not be configured direcctly to use PPPoE, but PPP has this option. The hint comes from file /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf. The details are:

Code: Select all

# Linux kernel-mode plugin for pppd.  If you want to try the kernel-mode
# plugin, use LINUX_PLUGIN=/etc/ppp/plugins/rp-pppoe.so
LINUX_PLUGIN=

# Any extra arguments to pass to pppoe.  Normally, use a blank string
# like this:
PPPOE_EXTRA=""
This is PPP stuff. I do not know whether the use of the kernel-mode plugin is still necessary. Don't have more information now.

Do yourself a favor and put a router between computer and modem. :|
In /etc I only changed the files HOSTNAME and hosts. All other configuration is done in my router. I did not changed a bit in WICD or /etc/ppp.
doll0x032

Post by doll0x032 »

Thanks to everybody. I have already thought about removing WICD, but the network became unreachable. And frankly I did not check if WICD would be updated or not before making an update so I cannot be sure if it was update that have broken network or not. Actually I tried to remove midori and might be confused with its depenensies. So I decided to reinstall the system. Yesterday I did it and made an update. So far everything works normally. I have to start pppoe manually after turning on the mashine and after standby but it is not a problem.
westms

Post by westms »

doll0x032 wrote:[...] Yesterday I did it and made an update. So far everything works normally. I have to start pppoe manually after turning on the mashine and after standby but it is not a problem.
Unfortunately you do not write how you start manually (all steps).

The packet rp-pppoe (Roaring Penguin PPPoE client) is probably installed also on your system. This contains shell scripts to handle PPPoE. With these you can configure your PPPoE matter, start and stop the protocol and more.

Next would be to clarify where calls to pppoe-start and pppoe-stop shall be installed so that the protocol can be used automatically.

rp-pppoe contains:

Code: Select all

pppoe-start(8)
pppoe-stop(8)
pppoe-connect(8)
pppoe-setup(8)
pppoe-status(8)
pppoe-sniff(8)
pppoe-relay(8)

pppoe-server(8)
pppoe(8)
pppd(8)
pppoe.conf(5)
Also WICD can handle scripts. But can not say how that works, because I get error messages written in a log file.