Installer - keyboard

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
geront

Installer - keyboard

Post by geront »

Not big issue, but installer's CZECH keyboard is totally wrong. (After boot everything is o.k.)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Installer - keyboard

Post by gapan »

Which one exactly did you try? The installer offers three Czech keymaps:
- cz-cp1250
- cz-lat2-prog
- cz-lat2

I can also see that after installation and if you run keyboardsetup/gtkkeyboardsetup, two additional keymaps are available:
- cz-us-qwertz
- cz

All of them, except the qwertz one, correspond to the cz keymap in Xorg. I have no idea which one is the prominent one for Czech, or even if all of them are used equally. We can certainly add the two missing ones in the installer for the next release, but it would be nice if you could try them all and report which one is the right one for you.
geront

Post by geront »

gapan wrote:Which one exactly did you try? The installer offers three Czech keymaps:
- cz-cp1250
- cz-lat2-prog
- cz-lat2

I can also see that after installation and if you run keyboardsetup/gtkkeyboardsetup, two additional keymaps are available:
- cz-us-qwertz
- cz

All of them, except the qwertz one, correspond to the cz keymap in Xorg. I have no idea which one is the prominent one for Czech, or even if all of them are used equally. We can certainly add the two missing ones in the installer for the next release, but it would be nice if you could try them all and report which one is the right one for you.
I am old man with bad memory....can not remember, but think that I tried more then one Czech keyboard during installation (all was bad....it typed special characters instead letters).

Setting keyboard and keyboard map after installation was smooth.

Multilingual installer....isn't it unnecessary work? Everyone can change users and passwords after install.

Intaller...maybe add some warning about Elilo for beginners...I expected behavior like Grub2...chainload boot with Window$...and two entries instead in bios was big surprise for me...

Keyboard in Czech republic....Majority ("normal" users) use QWERZ. (Tradition...typewriters.) "Computer" people usually QWERTY.

(I can try czech keyboards in installer....put here link to ISO. Hybrid ISO...if exist pls. Or via mail.)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

geront wrote:Setting keyboard and keyboard map after installation was smooth.
How exactly did you do that? Which tool did you use?
geront wrote:Multilingual installer.... isn't it unnecessary work?
It's not a multilingual installer. It's a multi-keymap installer. People need to know what they're typing.
geront wrote:Everyone can change users and passwords after install.
Not if they don't even know the password they used, if they used the wrong keymap.
geront wrote:Intaller...maybe add some warning about Elilo for beginners...
I don't agree. What kind of warning? It's already really obvious that (e)lilo is used.
geront wrote:I expected behavior like Grub2...
Why? It is not grub, it's (e)lilo.
geront wrote:chainload boot with Window$...and two entries instead in bios was big surprise for me...
That's how UEFI works. And elilo cannot boot anything other than linux anyway.
geront wrote:Keyboard in Czech republic....Majority ("normal" users) use QWERZ. (Tradition...typewriters.) "Computer" people usually QWERTY.
Unfortunately that doesn't answer my question. I need to know the exact keymap, not a description of it. Switch to a real terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1 for example), log in, run

Code: Select all

sudo keyboardsetup
and check the czech keymaps one by one. Be careful with your passwords, changing keymaps will probably change the keys you have to type.
geront wrote:I can try czech keyboards in installer....put here link to ISO. Hybrid ISO...if exist pls. Or via mail.)
There is no installer other than the one you already used, so no idea what link you're asking about here.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I just realized there are no missing cz keymaps in the installer after all. These 3 are under the qwerty section:
- cz-cp1250
- cz-lat2-prog
- cz-lat2

and these 2 are under the qwertz section (where they should be):
- cz-us-qwertz
- cz

So you really have to pick the one that matches your keyboard. Nothing more than that.
geront

Post by geront »

gapan wrote:
geront wrote:Setting keyboard and keyboard map after installation was smooth.
How exactly did you do that? Which tool did you use?
Something like system>choices>keyboard>layout...CZECH QWERTY with backslash and everything is o.k.

During installation there was rectangles instead national characters. Maybe it is only Lenovo S210T problem? (It has some keyboard "enhancements")...I am only user.
geront wrote:I can try czech keyboards in installer....put here link to ISO. Hybrid ISO...if exist pls. Or via mail.)
gapan wrote:There is no installer other than the one you already used, so no idea what link you're asking about here.
I thought tat you want to test keyboard in some new version of installer.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

geront wrote:During installation there was rectangles instead national characters. Maybe it is only Lenovo S210T problem? (It has some keyboard "enhancements")...I am only user.
This is the message that appears in the installer, when you've just selected the keymap. You definitely saw this message, but you probably didn't read it.
You may now test the new keyboard map by typing some text. You can accept the keyboard map or reject it and select another one. The installer only supports ASCII characters, so don't try any special characters here or use them during installation!
That should make it clear I think.