[Solved] gslapt deleted 109 packages for no reason.

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
User avatar
Papasot
Donor
Posts: 105
Joined: 3. May 2015, 18:37
Location: Patras, Greece

[Solved] gslapt deleted 109 packages for no reason.

Post by Papasot » 8. May 2016, 01:26

I tried to uninstall freeglut 2.8.0 (which was installed via gslapt), in order to manually install a more recent version via source compiling. To my surprise, gslapt deleted 109 additional packages (other than freeglut). Those packages include all of xfce, gslapt itself, gimp, firefox, midori, emacs, cups, openjre, and many others. There is no way all those packages depend on freeglut (actually, I doubt even one of them does); freeglut is not that crucial, I actually installed it later on, after installing most of the other packages. This is a bug, and a serious one.
I actually learned about it the hard way, as I didn't check the "packages to be removed" list, assuming it was just freeglut, as I asked. The net result is my main computer is now ruined, and I am trying to get it back in proper state by finding which packages were removed and reinstall them. I doubt this would work, I'm afraid I'll have to reinstall OS from scratch.

The bug is easily reproducible, as I tried to uninstall freeglut from another computer running the exact same OS (Salix 14.1 Xfce, 64-bit). Same situation: gslapt wants to remove freeglut plus 109 other packages. Of course, I cancelled it this time, and I unmarked all packages. This is actually how I know what happened the first time.
Trying to uninstall other packages, say midori or whatever, works as expected. It seems such a huge deletion of packages is triggered only if I try to uninstall freeglut.

Any clues what's going on are welcome.
Last edited by Papasot on 9. May 2016, 07:15, edited 2 times in total.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)

User avatar
mimosa
Salix Warrior
Posts: 3038
Joined: 25. May 2010, 17:02
Contact:

Re: gslapt delted 109 packages for no reason.

Post by mimosa » 8. May 2016, 08:43

Here is the list of packages to be removed I see when I do the same:

Code: Select all

 ffmpeg freerdp libquicktime mjpegtools wxcam haskell-platform gegl gimp 
  imagemagick obex-data-server mtpaint libcaca libtiff claws-mail ghostscript 
  gnumeric goffice libspectre mate-document-viewer gutenprint hplip openjre 
  icedtea-web gvfs gigolo sane pil simple-scan djvulibre HandBrake Thunar 
  abiword asunder audacious audacious-plugins avahi brasero clutter 
  clutter-gst totem clutter-gtk cogl dconf mate-desktop mate-panel mate-utils 
  dwb exo xfce4-panel fbxkb flash-plugin galculator gcr gnome-keyring gdm 
  geany gftp gparted grilo gslapt salix-update-notifier gtk+2 gtkmm gtkspell 
  gajim pan isomaster keybinder leafpad libfm pcmanfm libglade pygtk batti 
  exaile gnsu gtkman lilosetup meld python-gnomekeyring salixtools-gtk 
  sourcery whaawmp wicd libgnomecanvas cmake unetbootin libmateweather 
  libreoffice librsvg libunique libwnck mate-notification-daemon libxfce4ui 
  parole lxappearance lxterminal mate-dialogs mate-file-archiver mate-media 
  midori mozilla-firefox notify-python perl-gtk2 zim viewnior volumeicon vte 
  webkitgtk wxGTK gtk+3 libpeas transmission libgsf wv libnotify libwmf imlib2 
  feh giblib scrot lcms libmng lcms2 poppler libwebp sdl libmpeg2 libvncserver 
  mesa cairo cairomm pangomm harfbuzz grub libass pango pycairo pygobject3 
  freeglut glew projectM glu xdriinfo xf86-video-vmware 
If you scan that for large items you may not want (haskell-platform leaps out at me) it could provide a starting-point for restoring the missing packages.

As for what is going on, I don't know, but perhaps something fairly fundamental has freeglut incorrectly listed as a dependency.

User avatar
laprjns
Salix Warrior
Posts: 1028
Joined: 28. Aug 2009, 01:30
Location: Connecticut USA

Re: gslapt delted 109 packages for no reason.

Post by laprjns » 8. May 2016, 11:06

Papasot wrote: The net result is my main computer is now ruined, and I am trying to get it back in proper state by finding which packages were removed and reinstall them. I doubt this would work, I'm afraid I'll have to reinstall OS from scratch.
Well if you know when this happen, you can get a list of the packages that were removed by using this:

Code: Select all

$ls -ltr /var/log/removed_packages
This will list all packages removed from your system with the most recent removal listed last. You can then pipe them into a text file and with some file manipulation similar to what was suggested in your "undelete essential header" thread, you then can reinstall the deleted packages.

User avatar
gapan
Salix Wizard
Posts: 5413
Joined: 6. Jun 2009, 17:40

Re: gslapt delted 109 packages for no reason.

Post by gapan » 8. May 2016, 11:44

There is no bug. This is a case of you misunderstanding what's going on.

libtiff depends on freeglut. By removing freeglut, you remove libtiff. A ton of stuff depends on libtiff. By removing libtiff, you remove said ton of stuff. The end.
Image
Image

User avatar
Papasot
Donor
Posts: 105
Joined: 3. May 2015, 18:37
Location: Patras, Greece

Re: gslapt delted 109 packages for no reason.

Post by Papasot » 8. May 2016, 13:44

With all due respect to your hard work on Salix, gapan, I am afraid you are wrong in this case.

I don't see how ConsoleKit, for example, depends on freeglut - even implicitly. And that's just an example, there are tons of packages "depending" on freeglut. Furthermore, how xfce, emacs, wicd and many others are supposed to "depend" on freeglut is beyond me.
freeglut should be completely optional, I installed it only because I am developing OpenGL applications, and even then it is not imperative. Actually, no modern OpenGL application is based on freeglut to create an OpenGL context. freeglut has been superseded by other APIs ages ago (such as GLFW), and it is only used as a quick way to implement simple, introductory OpenGL examples.There is absolutely no way xfce, wicd, emacs, and all those packages gslapt wants to remove are freeglut-dependent in any way, even remotely.

As a proof, I uninstalled freeglut with skpg -d freeglut (to dodge gslapt which wants to ruin my system just because I want to uninstall a totally optional package). Guess what, freeglut is gone, and nothing is broken. libtiff works, ConsoleKit works, emacs works, xfce works, wicd works. Besides, gslapt doesn't mention freeglut as a dependency of libtiff.

In the end, if freeglut is indeed a dependency for libtiff, it should NOT be so. libtiff just provides support for the Tag Image File Format, and image support, even on OpenGL applications, has absolutely nothing to do with APIs like freeglut (actually, freeglut doesn't even provide any means to render an image, be it TIFF or JPG or whatever). I have countless of applications which use libtiff internally and of course none of them needs freeglut installed to run.

I strongly recommend freeglut should be optional and not related to so many packages for no reason. Personally, I blacklisted repos' freeglut (which is too old anyway) and installed the latest 2015 version - not because ConsoleKit needs it (this is just silly), but because I need it for some simple examples accompanying my libraries. Even then, I switch to other APIs when said examples become more serious.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)

User avatar
laprjns
Salix Warrior
Posts: 1028
Joined: 28. Aug 2009, 01:30
Location: Connecticut USA

Re: gslapt deleted 109 packages for no reason.

Post by laprjns » 8. May 2016, 14:11

Papasot wrote:There is no way all those packages depend on freeglut (actually, I doubt even one of them does); freeglut is not that crucial, I actually installed it later on, after installing most of the other packages.
Actually there are several package in both Slackware an Salix repositories that depend on freeglut

Code: Select all

rich[Desktop]$ cat SPACKAGES.TXT | grep -B 5 "freeglut" | grep "PACKAGE NAME"
PACKAGE NAME:  MPlayer-1.1_20130819-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  freeglut-2.8.0-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  jasper-1.900.1-x86_64-3.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libcaca-0.99.beta18-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libtiff-3.9.7-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mesa-9.1.7-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xine-lib-1.1.21-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xine-ui-0.99.7-x86_64-1.txz

rich[Desktop]$ cat PACKAGES.TXT | grep -B 5 "freeglut" | grep "PACKAGE NAME"
PACKAGE NAME:  vlc-2.1.2-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  ffmpeg2theora-0.29-x86_64-2gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  ffmpeg-2.1.5-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mplayer2-20131107-x86_64-2gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libwebp-0.3.1-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  haskell-platform-2013.2.0.0-x86_64-1tjb.t
An since these packages will not work without freeglut, slapt-get (Gslapt) will remove them also. And since it removing those others it will remove other packaged that depend on them, Here's the packages that depend on libtiff

Code: Select all

rich[Desktop]$ cat SPACKAGES.TXT | grep -B 5 "libtiff" | grep "PACKAGE NAME"
PACKAGE NAME:  calligra-2.7.4-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  cantor-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  cups-1.5.4-x86_64-3.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  djvulibre-3.5.25.3-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  emacs-24.3-x86_64-3.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  gdk-pixbuf2-2.28.2-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  geeqie-1.1-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  ghostscript-9.07-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  gimp-2.8.6-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  gutenprint-5.2.9-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  hplip-3.13.10-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  imagemagick-6.8.6_10-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  imlib-1.9.15-x86_64-7.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kdegraphics-strigi-analyzer-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  ksaneplugin-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  lcms-1.19-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  lcms2-2.4-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libksane-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libspectre-0.2.7-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libtiff-3.9.7-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  links-2.8-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  nepomuk-core-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  netpbm-10.49.02-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  obex-data-server-0.4.6-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  okular-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  pil-1.1.7-x86_64-4.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  poppler-0.24.3-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  qt-4.8.5-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  sane-1.0.24-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  sdl-1.2.15-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  skanlite-1.0-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  tumbler-0.1.25-x86_64-4.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  virtuoso-ose-6.1.6-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  windowmaker-0.95.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xine-lib-1.1.21-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xlockmore-5.43-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xpaint-2.8.16-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xsane-0.998-x86_64-3.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xv-3.10a-x86_64-6.txz

rich[Desktop]$ cat PACKAGES.TXT | grep -B 5 "libtiff" | grep "PACKAGE NAME"
PACKAGE NAME:  gnumeric-1.12.9-x86_64-1rl.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  goffice-0.10.9-x86_64-1rl.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  dvdauthor-0.7.1-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  hplip-3.15.11-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-document-viewer-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  claws-mail-3.9.2-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  filezilla-3.7.3-x86_64-1rl.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  calibre-1.11.0-x86_64-1alien.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  R-3.0.2-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  inkscape-0.48.4-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mkvtoolnix-6.5.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xchm-1.23-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  wxcam-1.1-x86_64-2gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  vlc-2.1.2-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  epdfview-0.1.8-x86_64-2gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  aMule-2.3.1-x86_64-2dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  apvlv-0.1.4-x86_64-3tjb.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  simple-scan-2.32.0.2-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  audacity-2.0.5-x86_64-1rl.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mtpaint-3.40-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  tuxtype-1.8.0-x86_64-2tjb.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  wesnoth-1.10.7-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  zaz-1.0.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  supertux-0.1.3-x86_64-2dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  rocksndiamonds-3.3.1.2-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  pingus-0.7.6-x86_64-2gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  2H4U-1.3-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  supertux2-0.3.3-x86_64-3dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  podofo-0.9.2-x86_64-1alien.tgz
PACKAGE NAME:  SDL_perl-1.20.0-x86_64-6dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  splix-r315-x86_64-1rl.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  wxGTK-2.8.12.1-x86_64-1ab.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libwebp-0.3.1-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  imlib2-1.4.6-x86_64-2gv.txz
And mesa

Code: Select all

rich[Desktop]$ cat SPACKAGES.TXT | grep -B 5 "mesa" | grep "PACKAGE NAME"
PACKAGE NAME:  MPlayer-1.1_20130819-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  PyQt-4.9.6-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  amarok-2.8.0-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  analitza-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  calligra-2.7.4-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  cantor-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  compiz-0.8.8-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  dragon-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  freeglut-2.8.0-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  glew-1.9.0-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  glu-9.0.0-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  gwenview-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  jasper-1.900.1-x86_64-3.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kactivities-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kalgebra-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kalzium-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kate-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kde-baseapps-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kde-runtime-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kde-workspace-4.10.5-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kdeartwork-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kdelibs-4.10.5-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kdenetwork-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kdepim-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kdeplasma-addons-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kdevelop-4.5.2-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kdevplatform-1.5.2-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kmix-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  korundum-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kremotecontrol-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kscreen-1.0-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kstars-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  ksudoku-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  ktorrent-4.3.1-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  ktouch-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  kubrick-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libcaca-0.99.beta18-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libtiff-3.9.7-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  marble-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mesa-9.1.7-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  networkmanagement-0.9.0.9-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  pairs-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  parley-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  perlkde-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  perlqt-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  phonon-gstreamer-4.6.3-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  print-manager-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  pykde4-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  qt-4.8.5-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  qtruby-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  qtscriptgenerator-0.2.0-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  rocs-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  smokekde-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  smokeqt-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  step-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  superkaramba-4.10.5-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  wicd-kde-0.3.0_bcf27d8-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xdriinfo-1.0.4-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xf86-video-vmware-13.0.1-x86_64-4.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xine-lib-1.1.21-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xine-ui-0.99.7-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xlockmore-5.43-x86_64-1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xmms-1.2.11-x86_64-5.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xorg-server-xephyr-1.14.3-x86_64-2.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xscreensaver-5.22-x86_64-2.txz

rich[Desktop]$ cat PACKAGES.TXT | grep -B 5 "mesa" | grep "PACKAGE NAME"
PACKAGE NAME:  goffice0.8-0.8.17-x86_64-1rl.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  gvfs-1.16.4-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  gdm-2.20.11-x86_64-7gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  goocanvas-0.15-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.4-x86_64-1gv_salix14.1.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-power-manager-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-netspeed-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-system-monitor-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-session-manager-1.8.1-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-terminal-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-notification-daemon-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-sensors-applet-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-document-viewer-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-window-manager-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-desktop-1.8.1-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-utils-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-media-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-file-manager-1.8.1-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  caja-extensions-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-control-center-1.8.1-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-dialogs-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-settings-daemon-1.8.1-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-applets-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libmatekbd-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libmateweather-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mate-file-archiver-1.8.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  claws-mail-3.9.2-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  parcellite-1.0.2rc5-x86_64-2dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  openbox-3.5.2-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  volumeicon-0.4.6-x86_64-2dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  gsimplecal-2.0-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  vlc-2.1.2-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  ffmpeg2theora-0.29-x86_64-2gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  surf-0.6-x86_64-1tjb.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  guvcview-1.7.3-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  dwb-2013.03.30-x86_64-1tjb.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  projectM-2.0.1-x86_64-2dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  midori-0.5.8-x86_64-2gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  sakura-3.1.3-x86_64-2dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mozilla-firefox-38.8.0esr-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  nitrogen-1.5.2-x86_64-3dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  aMule-2.3.1-x86_64-2dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  shotwell-0.15.1-x86_64-3rl.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  fbpanel-6.1-x86_64-4dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  ffmpeg-2.1.5-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  vimprobable2-1.4.0-x86_64-1tjb.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  apvlv-0.1.4-x86_64-3tjb.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  HandBrake-0.9.9-x86_64-2gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  fbxkb-0.6-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  gnucash-2.6.2-x86_64-1rl.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  spacefm-0.8.2-x86_64-4dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  gmrun-0.9.2-x86_64-3dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  obconf-2.0.4-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  clementine-1.2.1-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  lxappearance-0.5.5-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  openbox-menu-0.5.1-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  geany-plugins-1.23-x86_64-2tjb.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  gnac-0.2.4.1-x86_64-1tjb.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  mplayer2-20131107-x86_64-2gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  residualvm-0.1.1-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  zaz-1.0.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  supertux-0.1.3-x86_64-2dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  pingus-0.7.6-x86_64-2gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  fuse-emulator-1.1.1-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  supertux2-0.3.3-x86_64-3dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  scummvm-1.6.0-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  stepmania-5.beta2a-x86_64-1cp.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  dosbox-0.74-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  prboom-2.5.0-x86_64-3gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  pcmanfm-1.2.1-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libfm-1.2.1-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  lxrandr-0.1.2-x86_64-2dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  lxterminal-0.1.11-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libquicktime-1.2.4-x86_64-2gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  cairo-1.12.16-x86_64-2gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  SDL_perl-1.20.0-x86_64-6dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  wxGTK-2.8.12.1-x86_64-1ab.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  smpeg-r398-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  webkitgtk3-2.2.5-x86_64-1rl.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  libwebp-0.3.1-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  ftgl-2.1.3rc5-x86_64-2dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  vte3-0.34.9-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  lash-0.6.0~rc2-x86_64-2dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  webkitgtk-2.2.5-x86_64-1gv.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  ibus-1.5.5-x86_64-1dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  ibus-m17n-1.3.4-x86_64-2dj.txz
PACKAGE NAME:  haskell-platform-2013.2.0.0-x86_64-1tjb.txz
And on and on it will go. On my machine, slapt-get would removed 224 packages.

User avatar
Papasot
Donor
Posts: 105
Joined: 3. May 2015, 18:37
Location: Patras, Greece

Re: gslapt deleted 109 packages for no reason.

Post by Papasot » 8. May 2016, 15:30

laprjns wrote:Actually there are several package in both Slackware an Salix repositories that depend on freeglut
I wonder how my machine works perfectly without freeglut then. Like I said I installed a newer version of freeglut but it works perfectly without it. I only installed a newer version of freeglut because I needed to build the static version of the library (libglut.a) which is not provided by the repos - only the dynamic version (libglut.so) is installed by gslapt, and it is an old one. Furthermore, gslapt actually installs freeglut 2.8.0, but the corresponding dynamic library is mistakenly named libglut.so.3.9.0, while even the most recent version officially provided by the developers is 3.0.0. Why I needed the static version is another story.

I am working on OpenGL applications and related APIs (like freeglut, GLFW and the like) for a few years now, and, no matter what Salix's dependency system says, libtiff does NOT need freeglut to work. Wicd is NOT implemented nor depends on freeglut, and of course neither is Xfce... say nothing about ConsoleKit, which according to Salix dependencies is supposed to depend on freeglut too. This is flat out silly.

In any case, since I guess you don't consider the huge amount of packages "depending" on freeglut as a bug (I do), I have to ask: Can I be absolutely sure that blacklisting repo's freeglut is enough, or system updates may ruin it again, just because freeglut is not installed?
Furthermore, as a workaround, is it safe to keep repo's freeglut installed but also downlaed the source for that old version, build the static library libglut.a, and move it to /usr/lib64?
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)

User avatar
mimosa
Salix Warrior
Posts: 3038
Joined: 25. May 2010, 17:02
Contact:

Re: gslapt deleted 109 packages for no reason.

Post by mimosa » 8. May 2016, 19:27

If you blacklist it, the only problem might arise because some 14.1 package depending on freeglut needs the older version. Blacklisting will prevent reversion to the repo freeglut package.

Soon (but at an unspecified future time;)) Salix 14.2 will be released, and the problem will become moot, if it isn't already.

User avatar
gapan
Salix Wizard
Posts: 5413
Joined: 6. Jun 2009, 17:40

Re: gslapt delted 109 packages for no reason.

Post by gapan » 8. May 2016, 19:35

Papasot wrote:I don't see how ConsoleKit, for example, depends on freeglut - even implicitly
It doesn't. If I run

Code: Select all

slapt-get --simulate --remove freeglut|grep ConsoleKit
nothing comes out. So if you have ConsoleKit removed, it wasn't because of freeglut.

Other than that, I don't care about searching the dependency graph of each and every one package because I don't have to prove anything. What slapt-get does is correct. You should have paid more attention to what you're doing.
Papasot wrote:In the end, if freeglut is indeed a dependency for libtiff, it should NOT be so.
You are wrong. The libtiff package does not only include the library. It also includes several binaries.
Papasot wrote:I wonder how my machine works perfectly without freeglut then.
As far as you know. But it doesn't. Most of it, yes. Perfectly, not. Try running the tiffgt command.
Papasot wrote:Can I be absolutely sure that blacklisting repo's freeglut is enough, or system updates may ruin it again, just because freeglut is not installed?
Furthermore, as a workaround, is it safe to keep repo's freeglut installed but also downlaed the source for that old version, build the static library libglut.a, and move it to /usr/lib64?
Whatever you do outside package management is your own responsibility.
Image
Image

User avatar
Papasot
Donor
Posts: 105
Joined: 3. May 2015, 18:37
Location: Patras, Greece

Re: gslapt delted 109 packages for no reason.

Post by Papasot » 8. May 2016, 23:14

gapan wrote:You are wrong. The libtiff package does not only include the library. It also includes several binaries.
Papasot wrote:I wonder how my machine works perfectly without freeglut then.
As far as you know. But it doesn't. Most of it, yes. Perfectly, not. Try running the tiffgt command.
Well, tiffgt is just a small utility to display a tiff image. Apparently, it uses freeglut just to create a window with an OpenGL context and render the image there. it could perfectly use any other API for that purpose. This doesn't make freeglut necessary for libtiff. In fact, libtiff's purpose is just to render a tiff image into an OpenGL context. Which API will be used to create said OpenGL context is irrelevant. Therefore, I am NOT wrong: libtiff itself does not depend on freeglut.
That being said, I realize Salix developers can't bother with the fact Slackware devs decided to add a small (and basically useless) utility such as tiffgt into the libtiff package. Even though said utility is just a demo, adding it to the package makes that package dependent to freeglut - although, I insist, libtiff itself has nothing to do with freeglut.
gapan wrote:Whatever you do outside package management is your own responsibility.
Apparently, but the fact is I still need the static library (libglut.a), which is not provided by the package management (only dynamic library is installed by gslapt). Since the system basically makes built-in package freeglut imperative (pretty much everything "depends" on it, even though that dependency is something useless like tiffgt), the OS essentially forces me to either give up the functionality I need, or to try hacks. Therefore, with all due respect, it's not just "my own responsibility".

Anyway back to the issue. The hacks I can think to cope with it are (1) install a second version of freeglut from source (which will include the static library I need), or (2) download freeglut 2.8.0 from sourceforge, compile it without installing, and copy produced static library to /usr/lib64. The latter is what I did (and it seems to work, actually). However, it's just a workaround, as I can't be sure downloaded source is exactly the same as the one used to make the Slackware package, even though they both have the same version number (we all know about "revisions", plus the fact distro developers often alter the code so that it's not ncessarily the same as the one software devs provide).
The best solution would be to have access to the sources used to produce the Slackware package, so that I could compile that source, get the missing static library, and copy it to /usr/lib64. That way, I could be sure said static library is 1:1 equivalent to the dynamic library gslapt installed. So, I wonder, is there any way to get my hands on package sources?

What I am asking is nothing exceptional, many packages do provide static versions of the libraries they install. Although using dynamic libraries is the standard on Unix (and that's a good thing), static libraries are still useful for distributing demos to other people, which don't necessarily have freeglut installed - or if they do, it's probably a newer version thus not guaranteed to work.

EDIT: As mimosa said, 14.2 is probably not very far away, but even if the static library I am looking for will be there, another one might be missing, so a way to compile static libraries for installed packages is still needed.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)

Post Reply