SalixOS 14.2 Installation Bug

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
dj_papeles

SalixOS 14.2 Installation Bug

Post by dj_papeles »

First of all, great work with the distro, is amazing and very stable since i use it some years ago, well when i use the option Spanish (Spain) in the Boot Menu CD, everything goes well until i reach the part where the user is created, that part is automatically skipped, so when the installation finish and the new system boots to the login i cannot login since the user did not créate, if i select English(USA) in the Boot Menu CD everythong goes well includes the user creation.

Please forgive my english, as you can see im spanish.

Thanks in advance.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: SalixOS 14.2 Installation Bug

Post by gapan »

Unfortunately I can confirm this. The "Exit user setup" string got translated to "Salir de la configuración del usuario", which is just too long to fit in the screen and dialog throws an error. This sucks. Someone needs to fix the translation. And I also saw the first dialog shown in the installer also has too long options presented, but in this case they are both huge and for some reason they wrap. That still does not make them nice.

As a workaround you can select to exit the installer when it is finished and run:

Code: Select all

LANG=en_US.utf8 chroot /mnt usersetup
and you will be able to create the user before rebooting.

I can't personally test every single translation we include. That makes me have second thoughts about including translations in the installer...
dj_papeles

Post by dj_papeles »

Of course, in understand is a lot of work to test every translation, I installed the system using the Lang English, but the next time I try that, maybe on a new PC.

Thanks Gapan.
aleXimon

Post by aleXimon »

Hi!
gapan wrote:Unfortunately I can confirm this. The "Exit user setup" string got translated to "Salir de la configuración del usuario", which is just too long to fit in the screen and dialog throws an error. This sucks. Someone needs to fix the translation.
I could not find the string "Exit user setup" in salix-installer Transifex page.

Moreover, I coudn't install Salix 14.2 in my old Pentium 4. I think 32 bits ISO is broken, because SHA1 is OK, but at least three packages has fatal error #2. The installer does not display the name of the failed packages in both Spanish and English version. $ArG2 must be the problem.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

aleXimon wrote:I could not find the string "Exit user setup" in salix-installer Transifex page.
It's not in salix-installer. It is in salixtools/usersetup.
aleXimon wrote:Moreover, I coudn't install Salix 14.2 in my old Pentium 4. I think 32 bits ISO is broken, because SHA1 is OK, but at least three packages has fatal error #2. The installer does not display the name of the failed packages in both Spanish and English version. $ArG2 must be the problem.
I don't think so. There is probably a problem with your optical drive, or with your optical media.
aleXimon

Post by aleXimon »

gapan wrote:
aleXimon wrote:I could not find the string "Exit user setup" in salix-installer Transifex page.
It's not in salix-installer. It is in salixtools/usersetup.
Ok. I changed the string for a shorter one.
gapan wrote:
aleXimon wrote:Moreover, I coudn't install Salix 14.2 in my old Pentium 4. I think 32 bits ISO is broken, because SHA1 is OK, but at least three packages has fatal error #2. The installer does not display the name of the failed packages in both Spanish and English version. $ArG2 must be the problem.
I don't think so. There is probably a problem with your optical drive, or with your optical media.
Yes. It was a problem in my flash memory. I'm sorry.

Salix 14.2 is working fine in my old PC!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Yes. It was a problem in my flash memory. I'm sorry.

Salix 14.2 is working fine in my old PC!
Happens! Glad you have it working.