gnuchess - xboard has blank window which then hangs

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
mknoop01

gnuchess - xboard has blank window which then hangs

Post by mknoop01 »

When I try to use the xboard program, which is included with the gnuchess package, I get a blank window which just hangs. It will not close normally and has to be forced to close.
Now, this is strange especially because this is a slackware package. It was included in the initial install of my slackware system, and it works fine there. I added it to my salix system after the install, and xboard does not work. I have tried running ldd on the xboard executable file, but I do not see any unresolved library calls listed, unless I missed it.
Are there some missing package dependencies?.

Strange.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: gnuchess - xboard has blank window which then hangs

Post by mimosa »

It very likely is a missing dependency, because the way Slackware makes up for not having dependency resolution is by including the "kitchen sink" in a standard installation, which Salix does not.

Please report it if you find what is missing.

It may be worth running depfinder on the package file, and comparing the output with the .dep file. Anything it finds should already have been included, though - but it is possible you have somehow inadvertently removed it.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I just installed it using spi. spi didn't install any additional dependencies Runs fine here. Try running xboard from a terminal and see if it throws any error messages
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
mknoop01

Post by mknoop01 »

Okay. It was something to do with my ~/.xboardrc file. I move it to a different name, and then xboard ran fine and created a new .xboardrc file.

Thank you all for your time. It was probably something I did myself late at night and forgot I did it.