kde installation failed to match settings to display manager

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
Kimdino
Donor

kde installation failed to match settings to display manager

Post by Kimdino »

I installed Salix 14.2 XFCE to a PC a couple of months ago. Gslapt was then used to install KDE, and the DM login screen was then used to set KDE as the default desktop.

KDEs 'System Settings' was then used to enable autologin. This failed to have any effect. A perusal of '/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc' showed that the changes were being written.

On tracking through '/etc/rc.d/rc.4' I discovered that 'gdm' was being used, which I presumed meant that 'kdmrc' was not being used. As 'rc.4' was running

Code: Select all

if [ -x /usr/sbin/gdm ]; then
  exec /usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon
fi
before reaching

if [ -x /usr/bin/kdm ]; then
  exec /usr/bin/kdm -nodaemon
elif [ -x /opt/kde/bin/kdm ]; then
  exec /opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon
fi
I checked ' /usr/sbin/gdm' and found that it was executable so I ran

chmod -x  /usr/sbin/gdm
and rebooted. All was now well. I have tested various changes using KDEs 'System Settings' and they take effect.

I am not sure my solution is the best one as some may wish to use gdm, or some other display manager, under KDE. I would imagine that this is ultimately a KDE problem as KDE would need to write its settings to its own Desktop configuration files, not the DMs. However, should something be added to Salixs KDE installation script to alleviate the problem, perhaps something as simple as the 'chmod' I used to fix my installation?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: kde installation failed to match settings to display manager

Post by gapan »

There's no need for any of that. If you don't want gdm to take precedence, you just remove the package. If you want it back, install the package again.