Local mail delivery does not work

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Local mail delivery does not work

Post by thenktor »

Hi,

on Salix 14.2 the local mail delivery (e.g. from failed cron jobs) does not work because sendmail package is missing.

BTW: when sendmail is installed, it may be a good idea to configure it to listen on loopback interface only: https://www.slackwiki.com/Sendmail:_Lis ... pback_Only
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Local mail delivery does not work

Post by gapan »

Yes, the sendmail package was never installed by default in any release of salix. I'm not sure it's a problem and how many people use local mail. Even for people that use local mail, I'd bet that they know what to do to enable it.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

IMHO it is a problem, because cron does not work as expected. I noticed the missing functionality because I did not receive an error mail from a failed backup cron job and such stuff can end in disaster if not noticed.
How do other distributions handle this? Actually I thought local mail is enabled by default on most distributions.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

cron does work, it just not notify the user if a cronjob fails.

I think most distributions have local mail disabled by default. At least that's my understanding by searching for "distroname local mail". You'll find lots of instructions on how to enable it. I guess that means it's disabled by default.
galmei

Post by galmei »

Hello everyone!

A little narrative related to viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7745

Through the use of smartd, I had the only desire to use local mail. I get the SMART daemon to send local e-mails via a script. Because I do not like sendmail, the configuration is not fun and last but not least I did not want to run this server solely for a use case, which hopefully will never happen, I solved it otherwise. The script builds emails itself and appends them to the designated mailboxes in /var/spool/mail.

I can live with that and probably this procedure works on other occasions as well.