ratpoison

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: ratpoison

Post by gapan »

Can you run keyboardsetup twice? The first time just choose US and the second one choose the one you want. Then try ratpoison again.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

That seems to work, if I restart ratpoison, but then when I reboot with the setxkbmap line in .xinitrc commented out, I still get qwerty.

I am doing it like this, but is 'keyboardsetup' something else?

Code: Select all

mimosa[~]$ setxkbmap us -variant dvp
That doesn't do anything in console, X has to be running for it to work.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

No, I'm telling you to run keyboardsetup.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

That must be what's run during installation to choose the keyboard in the first place ... it doesn't seem to be present in the installed system though, and using slapt-get --search, there's no obvious package that would provide it. There's xkbutils, but that's installed.

EDIT

Ah ... salixtools!

And yes, that worked. The particular flavour of Dvorak I use isn't included as an option, but it doesn't matter; I'll just uncomment the line in xinitrc again.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

gapan wrote: 14. Jan 2022, 12:50 I have uploaded skippy-xd to the 15.0 repos. It's kind of similar. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to support window previews under ratpoison as it does with other WMs, so if you have many xterm windows, it won't be that easy to tell them apart. You can give it a try I guess.
skippy-xd is pretty good in ratpoison. You can see what's running in the windows, and mouse hover (I know, I know) shows a little text box saying what it is. If you click on any window, it takes you there, which I don' think rpexpose used to do.

Here's a screenshot.
https://i.postimg.cc/V6Z5yV95/Screensho ... -09-12.png
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I know ;)

If you try it in other WMs, you'll see that the previews in skippy-xd are live! In ratpoison you only get the window app icons.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Yeah, it's not as good as rpexpose. Oddly though, you can see the xterm! I always use screen in terminal anyway, so no chance of getting lost.

Thorsten tried to get me to use tmux instead, but I couldn't get the hang of it.