ratpoison

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

ratpoison

Post by mimosa »

I thought I'd start a new topic in here, regarding the recently uploaded ratpoison package (for which many thanks).

It doesn't work for me - just the black screen, with the initial message top right.

I tried using Ct-t - c to open a terminal, and Ct-t - ! to execute a command, nothing.

Code: Select all

ratpoison -c quit # in console 

>Can't open display
I rebuilt it locally, no change.

A separate problem which I remember from before (just not the solution :lol: )

mimosa[~]$ rpreboot 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rpreboot", line 5, in <module>
    shut = bus.get_object('org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit','/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager')
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 243, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 250, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 182, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 280, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 653, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
  dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files
rpreboot and rpshutdown are my favoured ways of rebooting or shutting down, whichever WM / DE I'm using :D
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: ratpoison

Post by djemos »

Hi mimosa. ConsoleKit2 is gone, replaced by elogind. Also pm-utils and cgmanager has been removed.
So remove them if exist in your system.

I never used ratpoison before.
So, i compiled the ratpoison and installed it.
Then i also installed nitrogen. I set my wallpaper with nitrogen and create ~/.ratpoisonrc with the lines

Wallpaper and transparency

exec xcompmgr -c -f -D 5 &
exec nitrogen --restore
Then i copied /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.ratpoison to ~/.xinitrc
went to init 3
sudo init 3 and log in as user
Then i typed startx and
penguin wallpaper show up and in the up right corner the message about Ctrl-t
Then i typed C-t ! firefox and firefox run
C-t c (xterm run etc)

typing "ratpoison -c quit" in xterm quit X
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks djemos.

I don't have those packages installed - it's pretty much a stock system.

However, I don't have /etc/ratpoisonrc (the fallback default, as per the man page). Could that be it?

The problem with rpreboot / rpshutdown looks like a separate issue to me, and I do recollect it coming up back in the day.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm not sure what I did, but it works now with or without a ratpoisonrc; I downloaded one from somewhere, it worked, I deleted it, it still worked; still no /etc/ratpoisonrc, so it's not using that.

However, the correct X keymap is not loaded (and possibly, some other things, terminal fonts seem weird for instance, but perhaps that's just xterm).

Fixed for now just by setting it directly in .xinitrc

rpreboot / rpshutdown still don't work, could it be they depend on consolekit etc, and need a rewrite?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Edit rpreboot
and replace everything with

#!/bin/bash
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.login1 /org/freedesktop/login1 "org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.Reboot" boolean:true
same with rpshutdown

#!/bin/bash
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.login1 /org/freedesktop/login1 "org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.PowerOff" boolean:true
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks djemos, those both work here.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Thanks djemos! I didn't try those before packaging.

And thanks for reporting it mimosa! I'll upload new packages.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

There's also the x keymap (and possibly other things) not being loaded via startx --> .xinitrc

Anyway, thanks to both, I will probably start using it when I've made the terminal a bit prettier.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

George, these two lines on SLKBUILD are not working. I have commented them when build the package. There is no expose.pl.
#cp contrib/expose.pl $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/rpexpose
#chmod 755 $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/rpexpose
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I think I found expose.pl somewhere last time round, rummaging around with Google. Anyway, we could maybe rescue it from one of the old packages?

It's important for some of the functionality that makes it ... handier.

The new version is broken again for me, and it seems to have something to do with .xinitrc. I'm investigating, but I have two versions with different paths for sysresources and sysmodmap, the one that works (but doesn't load the correct keymap) points at /usr/lib/X11, the one that doesn't work point at /etc/X11/xinit.

Unfortunately I'm not quite sure where I got those from.

The presence of .ratpoisonrc makes no difference (but according to the doc, there should be a fallback in /etc/ratpoisonrc, which isn't there).