xfburn Salix 15 incomplete

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
giogio

xfburn Salix 15 incomplete

Post by giogio »

Hi,
I try to use XFburn, but when I use it to burn an image there are no keys to going on, i.e. the usual keys in the lower image is not there, so it is impossible to command the burning.
Yes, I enlarged the image but the keys are still not there.
I try to reinstall it, but no way.
ibka

Re: xfburn Salix 15 incomplete

Post by ibka »

Hi

I have the same problem, but if i start xfburn as superuser the buttons are there.
So it is probably a permission issue.

My device permission is this:

Code: Select all

$ ls -la /dev/cd*
$ lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 okt 26 18:10 /dev/cdr -> sr0
$ lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 okt 26 18:10 /dev/cdr0 -> sr0
$ lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 okt 26 18:10 /dev/cdrom -> sr0
$ lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 okt 26 18:10 /dev/cdrom0 -> sr0
$ lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 okt 26 18:10 /dev/cdrw -> sr0
$ lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 okt 26 18:10 /dev/cdrw0 -> sr0
$ lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 okt 26 18:10 /dev/cdwriter -> sr0
$ lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 okt 26 18:10 /dev/cdwriter0 -> sr0

$ ls -la /dev/sr0
$ brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 okt 26 18:10 /dev/sr0

ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

experienced the same problem. strange since user (me) is in the default cdrom group as well. sudo xfburn works normally.
galmei

Post by galmei »

ibka wrote: 26. Oct 2022, 16:21 Hi

I have the same problem, but if i start xfburn as superuser the buttons are there.
So it is probably a permission issue.

My device permission is this:

$ ls -la /dev/sr0
$ brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 okt 26 18:10 /dev/sr0
Interesting:
brw-rw----+ and so on.
What does the plus sign in the device permissions mean?

Salix Xfce 14.2 is missing the plus sign.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Unfortunately, I don't currently have a PC with an optical drive, so I can't really try this.
galmei wrote: 29. Oct 2022, 17:20 Interesting:
brw-rw----+ and so on.
It means it uses access control lists (ACLs). What is the output of

sudo getfacl /dev/sr0
galmei

Post by galmei »

gapan wrote: 29. Oct 2022, 22:30 Unfortunately, I don't currently have a PC with an optical drive, so I can't really try this.
galmei wrote: 29. Oct 2022, 17:20 Interesting:
brw-rw----+ and so on.
It means it uses access control lists (ACLs). What is the output of

sudo getfacl /dev/sr0
Thanks for the clarification, gapan.

Here is the output
on Salix Xfce 14.2:

export LANG=us_US.utf8
[~]$ sudo getfacl /dev/sr0
Password: 
getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
# file: dev/sr0
# owner: root
# group: cdrom
user::rw-
group::rw-
other::---

[~]$

[~]$ sudo getfacl -a /dev/sr0

[~]$
giogio

Post by giogio »

Hi, I tried the "sudo xfburn" and everything worked fine: however strange enough that even if I add my root group to my user I was not able to to see xfburn working.
I understand this is not a big problem, but surely something not very nice to see.
tonb

Post by tonb »

This is Salix 15.0:

[~]$ sudo getfacl /dev/sr0
Password: 
user:salixman:rw-
mask::rw-

[~]$ 

Seems not alarming to me. Guess that the problem is in the software layers below Xfburn.

My experience with Linux Mint Xfce is similar to Salix. In Mint 18, logged in as a normal user, I could burn with Xfburn. In mint 20 I cannot. Mint 18 had Xfce 4.12, Mint 20 has Xfce 4.16. Different from Salix is that in Mint 20 the Xfburn popup windows have the right action buttons, only nothing happens when you click the button. I did not try sudo xfburn in Mint 20, but in Salix 15 it works for me. Mint 20 and Salix 15 both have Xfburn version 0.6.2, in Mint 18 it must have been older.

Once in the testing mood, I tried the live DVD of MX-Linux, 21.2.1 fluxbox version. It has Xfburn version 0.6.2 on the DVD and I could actually burn with it, being logged in as the default "demo" user. In Slackware 15.0 with KDE I tried K3b. A normal user cannot burn, but root can. That seems to be as intended, see here https://docs.slackware.com/playground:c ... ]=cdrecord and here https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index. ... 17472.html

All of the above worked and work with DVDs only, not with a CD. I cannot explain that. It is not a hardware problem, as Windows 7 can still burn CDs as well as DVDs without problem.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

tonb wrote: 2. Nov 2022, 15:13
My experience with Linux Mint Xfce is similar to Salix. In Mint 18, logged in as a normal user, I could burn with Xfburn. In mint 20 I cannot. Mint 18 had Xfce 4.12, Mint 20 has Xfce 4.16. Different from Salix is that in Mint 20 the Xfburn popup windows have the right action buttons, only nothing happens when you click the button. I did not try sudo xfburn in Mint 20, but in Salix 15 it works for me. Mint 20 and Salix 15 both have Xfburn version 0.6.2, in Mint 18 it must have been older.

Once in the testing mood, I tried the live DVD of MX-Linux, 21.2.1 fluxbox version. It has Xfburn version 0.6.2 on the DVD and I could actually burn with it, being logged in as the default "demo" user. In Slackware 15.0 with KDE I tried K3b. A normal user cannot burn, but root can. That seems to be as intended, see here https://docs.slackware.com/playground:c ... ]=cdrecord and here https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index. ... 17472.html

All of the above worked and work with DVDs only, not with a CD. I cannot explain that. It is not a hardware problem, as Windows 7 can still burn CDs as well as DVDs without problem.
I don't think its a version problem, I just installed 0.6.2 on Fedora 37 beta (VM) and Xfburn works as expected. Is it a PAM permission problem since its also observed on stock Slackware?

Update: MX Linux/Debian is also 0.6.2 and it works as expected.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

So I dug out an old laptop that has a DVD drive today and have confirmed this issue. I just uploaded an updated xfburn package to the repos, you should get it as soon as your mirror syncs.

FYI it wasn't a permissions issue, it was those stupid CSD that we have disabled by default and in xfburn include the "Burn now" button... You can see for yourselves now if you run:

GTK_CSD=1 xfburn
as your normal user from a terminal.