New network manager is exist bug.

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.

Re: New network manager is exist bug.

Postby zw963 » 10. May 2017, 15:38

Luck enough, today, I go home without poweroff my laptop.

(those day, have a new habit to power off laptop, because those issue happen once,
I don't kow how to resolve this problem before I try to restart /etc/rc.d/rc.network
unless reboot, so, just poweroff ...)

Continue ....

, I go home without poweroff my laptop, and when I go home, I found this case happen again.

And, this case, it seem like connection to my home WiFi automatically. I even not be ware of
this happen, until I need switch my wifi to another hotpot.

(It seem network manager can auto connect to wifi as usual, (what i means is even in normal situation,
NM is not always could connection to WIFI if disconnect one in a while) the problem is: NM only icon and
right menu could not find any available WiFi hotpoint)

Following is s snapshot about my desktop:

zw963

Postby zw963 » 11. May 2017, 03:26

this morning, this issue is happen again.

Salix menu> System> System Services> apcid, remove the checkmark (uncheck).

So, I have done this, and revert previous, I will reboot system several hours later..

and report here.
zw963

Postby zw963 » 11. May 2017, 13:11

Previous reply exists a typo, caused oposite means, so I reply again to correct that.

This connection still existed and could be used after you could not use the NetworkManager GUI. Did I understand you correctly?

Connection is missing when I come back, the icon is with a red X.
(Current, I don't know NM if worked well. (in some case, it could not
connect to WiFi hotpoint automatically when connect restore, But, when I occur this,
I as a rule consider NM is not worked)

So, I have to right click `Enable network` close it and reclick it again.

the icon is still with a red X, seem like still could not connnect to, But, current, it could connect to internet!

if run /etc/rc.d/rc.networkmanager restart, all is worked again.

Finish, sorry for my pool english cause confuse .....
zw963

Postby westms » 12. May 2017, 00:15

This is not an error with NetworkManager, Xscreensaver, X Server or APCI. You have talent to misrepresent everything and lure people in the wrong direction. I would like to make a summary.

You always write an "icon with red X". But it is a button that shows a red X instead of the intended icon. The red X is a sign that the icon cannot be loaded and displayed. I bet your responsibility is your 'recent update'. Anyone would recognize this correctly when one sees it. I have to correct myself now because of your nonsense, after I have quarreled with others.

The other problem you have now additionally, because you have manipulated on /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.
westms

Postby zw963 » 16. May 2017, 06:55

westms wrote:This is not an error with NetworkManager, Xscreensaver, X Server or APCI. You have talent to misrepresent everything and lure people in the wrong direction. I would like to make a summary.

You always write an "icon with red X". But it is a button that shows a red X instead of the intended icon. The red X is a sign that the icon cannot be loaded and displayed. I bet your responsibility is your 'recent update'. Anyone would recognize this correctly when one sees it. I have to correct myself now because of your nonsense, after I have quarreled with others.

The other problem you have now additionally, because you have manipulated on /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.

Very very sorry for my foolish error and pool english express.

I guarantee next I create a issue, i will always with a picture in it ..

But, the fact is:

after I do this:

Code: Select all
Salix menu> System> System Services> apcid, remove the checkmark (uncheck).

Seem like the issue is gone in several days.

Before I uncheck this, I often occur the situation which
shows a red X instead of the intended icon
, and in so
long period, I have no idea about If current Wifi is connect? or which WiFi is connect?

the final solution often is have to restart salix to resolve. ( of cause, I don't know to restart /etc/rc.d/rc.networkmanager in those day)

If all behavior is expected, could you please explain why remove apcid, Net manager is worked as usual ?
zw963

Postby zw963 » 23. May 2017, 04:22

This bug never happen ....
zw963

Postby zw963 » 5. Jun 2017, 10:29

never happen ....
zw963

Postby westms » 6. Jun 2017, 02:38

zw963 wrote:never happen ....

Congratulations!

ACPI switched off, the interfaces continue to live and the connections are no longer lost.
Now one can examine the effects of the ACPI functionalities on the installed OS and on the hardware. This is what I describe below.

I.
Now you switch APCI on again and boot the operating system immediately. You also change no other setting than the one described here.

After booting, use the command:
xset q | fgrep DPMS

You should be able to read: DPMS is Enabled

If DPMS is disabled, turn it on with:
xset +dpms

Again, to see the result:
xset q | fgrep DPMS

If this has no effect, use:
xset dpms force on

Check this too!

One of the two preceding commands must be run for a few days immediately after each boot until the error reappears.

II.
If the error occurs again, or if DPMS has already been switched on, then you have to narrow down further.

The command:
cat /proc/acpi/wakeup

provides information on the S-state of each device.

The following example to my computer about one of the USB interfaces and about the LAN interface:
Device  S-state  Status     Sysfs node
[...]
USB0    S3       *enabled   pci:0000:00:03.0
LAN     S4       *disabled

You have a built-in WLAN interface, this must also be included in the list then, and is important. If you use an external WLAN device and connected it to one of the USB interfaces, this USB interface is also important for further contemplation. The USB interfaces may also be named differently, e.g. USBE. The WLAN interface can also have a different name from WLAN.

From my example, the LAN interface is disabled (switched off) in the S-state S4. If this state is taken, the interface is switched off and the connection to the router is lost. In my case, the router terminates the connection to the internet service provider.

If your LAN and WLAN interfaces on your computer are switched off for one of the energy-saving S-states, you can turn them on for testing. Sample commands for this are:
sudo sh -c "echo LAN >/proc/acpi/wakeup"
sudo sh -c "echo WLAN >/proc/acpi/wakeup"

If a USB interface must remain functional, eg:
sudo sh -c "echo USBE >/proc/acpi/wakeup"

A write to /proc/acpi/wakeup has toggle function.

Again, the appropriate commands must be executed for a few days immediately after each boot until the error reappears or not.

If the above procedure is successful, the interfaces can be permanently configured in the BIOS or UEFI firmware. Working commands (without sudo) can also be stored in /etc/rc.d/rc.local instead.

If the above does not work, one can try to find an error in the ACPI module / deamon, in the kernel, or in an ACPI-related error in NetworkManager. But all this is very complex and becomes complicated by the difficult communication, so I will not accompany it.

III.
Regardless of what has been explained so far, some routers and access points can be configured to sustain the connection to the provider. Therefore, the configuration of the router / access point should be searched for settings that can be improved. Perhaps the internet connection can be maintained without changes to the ACPI functionality.

IV.
Before the experiment with ACPI, how did the behavior differ at the workplace and at home?

What other Linux distributions are installed on this computer? In other words, does the connection loss also occur with other Linux distributions on the same machine?

Please keep us informed of your progress.
westms

Previous

Return to Problems