polkit agent needed

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
pnbalaji

polkit agent needed

Post by pnbalaji »

Hi,

I have been using Salix for the past couple of years and everything is working fine.

I am looking for a good free software to flash an ISO image into usb drive. I like the isodumper in Mageia, but it is not available in Salix. I installed the AppImage version of Etcher in Salix and I am able to run. However, when I select an ISO image and click on flash, I am getting an error message saying "No polkit authentication agent found. Please install a polkit authentication agent for your desktop environment of choice to continue.". See the screenshot below.

Can someone help me how to install the polkit authentication agent for XFCE in Salix? I have been using dd command to flash the USB drive with an ISO, however, formatting the USB drive after that is a pain. If I format using gparted, it does not work all the times. I have to reboot in order to format. I never had such issues with ISOdumper in Mageia.

Thanks,
Balaji.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: polkit agent needed

Post by gapan »

A polkit agent is already installed in Xfce, with the polkit package. If your AppImage says that it can't find it, it's probably because it's looking for another version, the one installed in Ubuntu or something like it.

You don't need any additional software to flash an iso to a usb drive though. You can just do it with dd.

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=your.iso of=/dev/sdb
Make sure you get the device name right (/dev/sdb in this example)
pnbalaji

Post by pnbalaji »

I have been using dd for many years, but prefer to use a GUI tool. Is there any other ISO flashing tool in Salix repos? I don't prefer unetbootin as not all ISOs flashed using Unetbootin works.

Thanks,
Balaji.
galmei

Post by galmei »

To your question about another GUI-based writing program as unetbootin: I do not know any in the Salix distribution. If you do not get Etcher working, then there is the program Gnome Multi-Writer https://github.com/GNOME/gnome-multi-writer. Maybe you can adapt this to Salix.

Why do you want to format the flash memory after the ISO image has been written to the flash memory? For writing the next ISO image? It is not the case that a file system must first be created on the flash memory if an ISO image is to be written to this memory. Rather, the ISO image is already an independent file system. If this is written to the Flash memory, then this process overwrites any existing file system.
pnbalaji

Post by pnbalaji »

Thanks for the response.

Sometimes it is about flashing another ISO image. And, many times, I would like to keep my data and mp3 files on it, for which I need to format, create a partition table.

I will try the gnome-multi-writer and see how it works.

Thanks,
Balaji.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

pnbalaji wrote: 22. Jul 2018, 03:29And, many times, I would like to keep my data and mp3 files on it, for which I need to format, create a partition table.
I will try the gnome-multi-writer and see how it works.
Why not just use cfdisk or fdisk plus mkfs.fat, then?