Installations and their Dependencies

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Bird

Installations and their Dependencies

Post by Bird » 16. Nov 2020, 13:47

I think I've found a somewhat general problem when installing Salix not only with the full install, but even more with the minimal install (the one with the graphical interface, but very few packages). Plenty of dependencies when installing programs are missing. One example would be the Java program pdfsam (v2.2.2) which needed OpenJDK to start. Another would be the painting programm Pinta, where "mono" was missing to build it.
I've encountered this from time to time with Slackbuilds from Sourcery, too. Commands fail, because a compiler package is missing (for example the correct version of qt or cmake for example). Why aren't they downloaded automatically, like other packages are?
Who should I notify in these cases?

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Installations and their Dependencies

Post by gapan » 16. Nov 2020, 22:28

True. The reason is that due to slackbuilds.org's policy these dependencies were not listed, or incorrectly listed, at least at the time the packages were built, and there is also no way to automatically detect them. This is something that is noted in the respective blog post:
https://blog.salixos.org/post/our-new-extra-repository/
In some cases, mostly with Python and Perl libraries and software, not all dependencies will be listed. If you find such a case, please notify us (in the forums or the mailing list) and we’ll try to fix it.
...which is exactly what you did here. I have added the missing dependencies for these in the repos. If you find any more, please report those too. Thanks!