Suddenly undefined video mode on bootup

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Suddenly undefined video mode on bootup

Post by thenktor »

After loading the kernel it suddenly says something like this:
Undefined videomode number 311
Wait 30 seconds or press space, or enter to see a list of available video modes.
I cannot remember the exact words (it occurs on a friend's living room PC). The strange thing: it has worked fine before. Only change that can be related to this: I've updated the openchrome xorg driver.
I think it's perhaps some hardware or BIOS related problem. The PC uses an onboard VIA Unichrome Pro graphics chipset.

Perhaps somebody already knows this kind of problem and knows a workaround (instead of using vga=normal)?
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Suddenly undefined video mode on bootup

Post by thenktor »

I've already found a possible solution :mrgreen:
According to Arch Linux forum this message may appear if a external hard disk is attached at bootup: http://forum.archlinux.de/?page=Posting ... hread=8643 (German).
Have to test this tomorrow, but I'm quite sure this is the problem (the USB HD was connected at reboot).
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
stillborn

Post by stillborn »

I had this exact same error when I was trying my qingy package, and the thing that made that message appear was when I played with

Code: Select all

vga=7**
options in lilo.conf. Only thing that works here is option 791.
FIN
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

thenktor wrote:Perhaps somebody already knows this kind of problem
Yes, I had it on my gf's computer. But sometimes after a reboot without touching anything, all is back ok.
thenktor wrote:Perhaps somebody already knows this kind of problem and knows a workaround (instead of using vga=normal)?
No I don't, but your suggestion about external HD (or USB key ?) could be a track...