Fatal Error upon install:"Failed to load module "fbdev"

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
bobdecker

Fatal Error upon install:"Failed to load module "fbdev"

Post by bobdecker »

I installed Salix from the CD iso and was unable to do a graphical login. The full error report said "Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist. 0) No devices detected". I looked at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and it basically is saying "screens 0". I googled this error and saw it on several places on the web, with the aforementioned file looking the same. Unfortunately, I did not see a solution to implement, so I'm asking for your help.

I had this same difficulty with Zenwalk when I installed 6.2 as a clean install. The beta ran just fine, but I had the same X server problem. I didn't follow up as I was under pressure at the time to get my box up and running. It's a Compaq Presario Notebook F756NR with and Nvidia Geforce 7000m, 4 gig of ram, and a 1.9 gigahertz Turion AMD 64x2 processor. I like the way this distro looks and feels in Virtualbox, and I liked the support I received from one of you (thanks again, Stillborn) when I had a problem with Zenwalk. I look forward to your excellent support. Thanks.
.:B:.

Re: Fatal Error upon install:"Failed to load module "fbdev"

Post by .:B:. »

You don't need the module, so ignore it.

grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log should tell you what you need to know. I trust you are running *without* an Xorg.conf? Recent X versions don't need one, they'll autoconfigure. Putting a full configuration in place will only make it more messy.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

As .:B:. said: It should work without this module. I'd try to install the Nvidia driver and let it configure a basic xorg.conf afterwards.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
bobdecker

Post by bobdecker »

Yes, upon looking more closely at the /var/log/Xorg.0 this would be problem, I would need to install the Nvidia driver to get this working. Thanks for your speedy reply!