NVIDIA 71.86.11-pkg Install Problem[solved]

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
joeham

NVIDIA 71.86.11-pkg Install Problem[solved]

Post by joeham »

I am trying to install the Nvidia driver for my TNT2 card. The install script needs to compile a kernel module (I think). It says the kernel source tree is not installed. I ran Gslapt and found there is a kernel source package for the 2.6.29.6-smp kernel showing up but it is blocked by Gslapt settings. Should I allow it and install it? I was thinking perhaps the Salix team blocked it for a reason and that I should ask a question before breaking my distro.

Anybody built a Nvidia driver? Does the install script work for Slackware?
Last edited by joeham on 24. Oct 2009, 05:18, edited 1 time in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: NVIDIA 71.86.11-pkg Install Problem

Post by gapan »

Yes, that's the one you should install. slapt-get -i kernel-source from a terminal works. And you're right, this can be considered a bug, we should probably allow installation of the kernel-source package with gslapt. I'll update the package this evening.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

joeham wrote:IAnybody built a Nvidia driver? Does the install script work for Slackware?
Yes, once you have installed the kernel-source package the script builds and installs the driver without problems.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Let the NVIDIA script create a basic xorg.cong at the end of the installation. Otherwise X probably will continue to use the nv driver.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I agree !

I need to find and provide my kernel-headers++ package with all the missing includes to build the nvidia proprietary driver and the VirtualBox driver.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Found :)

Here is the missing headers to compile nvidia, ati, virtualbox drivers without the need to install the kernel source:
http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/kernel-headers-addon.txz

Here is the included files:
http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/kernel-headers-addon.txt

These links could change further, especially if these files will be included in kernel-headers in the future.
joeham

Post by joeham »

Thanks very much for the fast reply. Sorry about my slow response.

I was able to load the kernel source per your instructions. The Nvidia install script runs and builds without any errors reported to the ncurses user interface. Not sure if there is a log produced by the nvidia script.

I modified my Xorg.conf per their instructions in the readme. Commented out a couple of modules and changed driver to nvidia from nv. The X server bombs when is tries the load the nvidia driver module. A snipet from the Xorg log below:

II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so: undefined symbol: AllocateScreenPrivateIndex
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (loader failed, 7)

I think the undefined symbol might indicate a problem with either the kernel source or the headers associated with it. Below are the installed packages:
kernel-headers-2.6.29.6_smp-x86-2.txz
kernel-source 2.6.29.6_smp-noarch-2

So I am a little lost now as to what to try next. Any suggestions?
joeham

Re: NVIDIA 71.86.11-pkg Install Problem [solved]

Post by joeham »

Well I guess I was mistaken. The driver 71.86.xx does not support xorg beyond ver 1.4 so I am outa luck.
I thought this had been fixed but some search on the nvidia boards shows the sad story.

Thanks all for the help.