WLAN accesspoints with hidden ESSID and WPA encryption

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
flux

WLAN accesspoints with hidden ESSID and WPA encryption

Post by flux »

I am not able to connect to an AP via WLAN (with 4 different devices) if the ESSID of the AP is hidden and not broadcasted and the encryption is set to WPA(2).

It is no problem with ESSIDs which are broadcasted and not hidden.

I tried several routers (AVM/FritzBox, Netgear, Linksys, T-Online/AVM) and several WLAN devices (RT2860, RT2870, RT73, RT61, IPW2200, IWL...).

Any ideas?

My problem or a Slackware based problem?

Thank you for reading,

flux.
flux

Re: WLAN accesspoints with hidden ESSID and WPA encryption

Post by flux »

May be it is related to the WPA1/2 field, where the key for the encryption has to be inserted ... when I am at home tonight, I will try it again and will have a look into /etc/wicd/encryption/templates/ and the wpa-files stored there ... perhaps there is a solution to change the group within these files according the output of "iwlist wlan0 scanning".

flux.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

As far as I can remember hidden networks never worked with wicd...
EricC

Post by EricC »

gapan wrote:As far as I can remember hidden networks never worked with wicd...
That's what I thought as well. I remember one of the responses to this issue being that hiding the network is worthless. I didn't quite understand that statement. If that is the only approach used for security, I could see the point. But when used as of many layers (hidding, wpa2, mac address restriction ,etc.) it would be useful.
flux

Post by flux »

Thank you for your answers.

The problem is not my homenetwork with WLAN, which I can change to broadcast the ESSID. The problem are APs with hidden ESSIDs in hotels or at other places, where I cannot change the router's configuration.

If wicd cannot handle this situation the user has to use the commandline ... for the one or the other this might be a problem and a NO GO!

flux.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I've never tried a hidden network but last time I had problems with a WPA(2) secured network at a friend. He's using a AVM Router and I could not connect. Perhaps the special characters in the key are a problem (I think it was a $ and a &)? I did not investigate further.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
flux

Post by flux »

I used no special keys, nothing unusual. Only letters and numbers.

I tried again several options of wicd, no success ...

I think it is fact, that in Slackware there is no connection to a hidden network with wicd, in other Linux distris this combination is no problem.

Thank you for your answers,

flux.