Emacs 24.3 with FCITX input methods[Resolved in 14.2]

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
tsuren

Re: Emacs 24.3 with FCITX input methods[09/17 Update]

Post by tsuren »

Have you also tried this?
If I disable xim on emacs by adding:

Code: Select all

Emacs*UseXIM:false
in the ~/.Xresources, fcitx is not activated for sure with ctrl + space. My guess right now is probably fcitx is not fully compatible to emacs... I have not tested emacs with Ibus and SCIM, but since SCIM is dead and Ibus is sinking fast due to their bad decision making, the only credible IMs one can use today are milted to fcitx and uim.
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
zw963

Post by zw963 »

tsuren wrote:Hi zw963, I still think it is a Salix specific problem. Perhaps people who use emacs do not use external IMEs, as it seems that emacs offers its own IME. I've just tried the emacs IME and it works OK. Have you already asked other Chinese colleagues if emacs and fcitx work well together?
Hi, today, I use emacs own input method EIM all day, it so poor.

About emacs, Chinese colleagues use it extremely few, some people I know, they write english all day...
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

When using fcitx, are you using any input method engine for Chinese? For example, I use mozc as the input method engine for Japanese. And emacs (EIM) can directly work with mozc without passing by fcitx. So my guess is perhaps there are some other input engines that you like that can work directly from EIM. What do you thinkj about that?
westms

Post by westms »

tsuren wrote:Hi zw963, I still think it is a Salix specific problem. Perhaps people who use emacs do not use external IMEs, as it seems that emacs offers its own IME. I've just tried the emacs IME and it works OK. Have you already asked other Chinese colleagues if emacs and fcitx work well together?
Hallo zw963 and tsuren,

its not a Salix/Slackware problem, I think. When I read associated articles on the web, I got the impression that there is a general GNU/Linux problem.

Do you know "Hall of Shame for Linux IME Support"? The penultimate table entry: https://fcitx-im.org/wiki/Hall_of_Shame ... ME_Support
You can read there for Emacs: "English locale (not sure for others) can not use input method. Use CJK locale ."

Do you know this page? https://fcitx-im.org/wiki/FAQ
Really worth reading. The article also shows that the problem can be reproduced with Gedit.

Its a bad thing to set locale to en_US.UTF-8, says:
bug#10867: 23.4 must export LC_CTYPE to zh_CN.UTF-8 or similar CJK local
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-g ... 00761.html

Perhaps one can use the documentation "Localization: Adapt Slackware to your own Language' http://docs.slackware.com/slackware:localization to get a proper setup.
Last edited by westms on 6. Sep 2015, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

Have you seen this one already? In slackware, i believe locale.sh is lang.sh. I guess you can just ignore the first part, and the important part is:

export LANG
[ -n "$LC_CTYPE" ]          && export LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
You might also want to contact this guy on the blog.
zw963

Post by zw963 »

tsuren wrote:Have you seen this one already? In slackware, i believe locale.sh is lang.sh. I guess you can just ignore the first part, and the important part is:

export LANG
[ -n "$LC_CTYPE" ]          && export LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
You might also want to contact this guy on the blog.
I read the article you refer to, and do the following things,

1. settings ~/.Xresources

☠  $ cat ~/.Xresources 
Emacs*UseXIM:false
2. settings (setq inhibit-x-resources t) in emacs, following is emacs document:

Documentation:
If non-nil, X resources, Windows Registry settings, and NS defaults are not used.
3. settings the locale to following:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8
4. add /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-fontconfig.conf

☠  $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-fontconfig.conf
Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
EndSection
```
When those is done, I can active fcitx in emacs. It looks like emacs use fcitx gtk module?
actually, not, emacs seem like still use XIM,  because I am not enable fcitx gitk2 module,
maybe this is a emacs bug,  

Salix problem is difference, it still exist here. 
when skype is start, emacsclient input methods active is broken.
(or can active, but can not input anythings, if I setting more locale environment variable)
zw963

Post by zw963 »

westms wrote:
Hallo zw963 and tsuren,

its not a Salix/Slackware problem, I think. When I read associated articles on the web, I got the impression that there is a general GNU/Linux problem.

Do you know "Hall of Shame for Linux IME Support"? The penultimate table entry: https://fcitx-im.org/wiki/Hall_of_Shame ... ME_Support
You can read there for Emacs: "English locale (not sure for others) can not use input method. Use CJK locale ."

Do you know this page? https://fcitx-im.org/wiki/FAQ
Really worth reading. The article also shows that the problem can be reproduced with Gedit.

Its a bad thing to set locale to en_US.UTF-8, says:
bug#10867: 23.4 must export LC_CTYPE to zh_CN.UTF-8 or similar CJK local
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-g ... 00761.html

Perhaps one can use the documentation "Localization: Adapt Slackware to your own Language' http://docs.slackware.com/slackware:localization to get a proper setup.
Thanks very much!
I read all article except the last Slackware, seem like still not help for me.
Thanks everyone's help anyway.
zw963

Post by zw963 »

Sorry, because test, result in my Salix system default input method is change to Simple.

When in terminal, right key menu -> input methods, looks like: System(Simple)

before now, will System(X Input Method), how can I restore default System to X Input Method?
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

Hi zw963,
So let me get this right... With your setup, and with emacs -Q, you can use fcitx as you wanted? And I imagine emacs is not running with xim as you disabled it for emacs.

As for "Simple", did you change your settings more than you described here? If not, just restart your box.

For your skype issue. I really have no idea. I stopped using skype myself after it adopted pulseaudio... But I can tell you for sure that it is not a salix problem. I imagine that you set fcitx for qt as well (export QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx).
zw963

Post by zw963 »

tsuren wrote: As for "Simple", did you change your settings more than you described here? If not, just restart your box.
I can't use fcitx in firefox or any other application, in terminal, I have to change Simple to X Input Method
to use fcitx,

What I does to cause this is:

I enable fcitx gtk module recently. (copy `im-fcitx.so' to /usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules)
and run sudo gtk-query-immodules-2.0 --update-cache),

then close fcitx gtk module (remove im-fcitx.so, and run gtk-query-immodules-2.0 --update-cache again)

finally result in Simple is as default.