ethernet not stable

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: ethernet not stable

Post by laprjns »

I believe that the answer has been found for this problem. See this viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7284. The solution, at least it works on my computers, both wired and wireless, is to do the following:

Install the dhcp package

Code: Select all

$ sudo spi -i dhcp
Edit the NeworkManagers dhcp client configuration file, /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/00-dhcp-client.conf, commenting the "dhcp=dhcpcd" line an un-commenting the "dhcp=dhclient" line. It should look like this after editing :

# Choose a DHCP client below.  Upstream recommends dhclient, but results may vary.
# dhcpcd is the DHCP client usually used by Slackware:
#dhcp=dhcpcd
# dhclient is the ISC reference DHCP client, part of the dhcp package:
dhcp=dhclient
# This is a simple DHCP client that is built into NetworkManager:
# dhcp=internal
Then restart networkmanager

sudo service restart networkmanager
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

Hi,

have not been around for a while... 8-)

I fixed it today as you propose.

I switched to a different router in the meantime and had no issues since.
But reading through the thread you linked to, I thought it was good to change.
I never had a WRT router here. Hardware is supplied by Unitymedia, so cable modem.

thanks.
Regards Gruß
jpg
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

Hi all,

I am now again into the issue that the ethernet connection to my cable modem/router (unitymedia horizon box) has become unstable.
I decided to switch off network manager (deselected service at startup) and installed wicd via the gslapt tool.

But, the problem remains.

I am not 100% sure when the issue turned up again, but I am relatively sure it was with the last update, received via
the system update service (gslapt).

The issue is, the connection gets established (both packages) but within few minutes and then within seconds the connection
is terminated and lost. Reconnection is possible but sometimes it takes really long before a line being stable for at least some
minutes is established. But, it will go dead soon, not matter which package or setting I tried.

I will be off soon for holidays, but i am really frustated that this issue seems unresolved now since long.
Reading through the "Configure NetworkManager..." thread does tell me, its not so uncommon to get this problem.
However I am a bit unsure if the proposed solutiion is the right one - same as stated above.

All other devices connected to the box via WLan are running properly.

I tested the ethernet wired connection with this laptop as well (same cable, same port, same box), but no issue there.

So something happened and is happening in my SalixPC and I would like to make it go away :-)

Update: I just discovered that I had already the dhcp solution in place as indicated above. So even that was obviously not the reason/solution.
Update2: strange enough, WICD is now provoding a stable connection since a while...

Thanks.
Regards Gruß
jpg
galmei

Post by galmei »

Hello,

the behavior described now does not necessarily have anything to do with the previous difficulties, especially as the descriptions differ considerably. NetworkManager and Wicd have problems at the same time? Then Wicd works again, after a notebook was connected? That looks unlikely. Probably NetworkManager would work again.

Added: If two computers can be operated at the same time on the router modem and the offending behavior only occurs with one computer, then the error lies in this computer or its connection line. If, on the other hand, only alternate operation is possible, then the statement that a notebook has a stable connection is not worth so much, because the instability can also be with the provider and have been remedied in the meantime.

Rather, the described symptoms are very likely to indicate a hardware defect. The suspects for a hardware defect are the electronics of the LAN interface in the computer, the cable router-modem and the LAN connection cable. Alone the removal of the LAN-Cat cable, the bending to the notebook and back again, may have fixed a problem temporarily. A new LAN-Cat cable, which was never kinked or wrapped tightly, and a control of the port socket, could be enough.

With a purchased DSL router (no modem part) I already had a similar behavior. Since replacement of the device, the difficulties have been eliminated. With a loaner from the TV cable contract, that should not be a big deal. Also, it costs almost nothing, to disable the motherboard LAN port (temporarily) and replace it with a good plug-in card.

By the way: There is no reliable DHCP solution. The unstable connectivity discussed in the past in the forum is a NetworkManager runtime issue that can occur with all three DHCP clients.

Have a beautiful holiday!