Firefox 45.5 security issue

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Firefox 45.5 security issue

Post by mimosa »

I've been experiencing a lot of crashes using Firefox in Salix 14.1, and when investigating, found this:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... sa2016-90/
That's the Firefox I have:

Code: Select all

Package Version: 45.5.0esr-x86_64-1gv
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Firefox 45.5 security issue

Post by gapan »

Unfortunately that is still the latest firefox esr available, so nothing we can do about it yet.
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

The only thing i can say is: try Palemoon ...
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

jsfarinet wrote:The only thing i can say is: try Palemoon ...
Yeah, because that is only a few dozen releases behind firefox in updates. Good idea.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

jsfarinet, I always recommend Palemoon to Windows users; but gapan is quite right in terms of security. For Windows users, I tend to assume that's a lost cause anyway, so the aim is something that is reasonably functional on a half-crippled machine without the user having to know how to turn things on or off.

However that advice is probably out of date now, see recent discussion of Palemoon here.

gapan, what would you recommend in the mean time to anyone who is concerned about security? As I recall, there is a problem of some kind with all webkit browsers. I don't follow these things closely so I may be misremembering that.
maximus

Post by maximus »

mimosa wrote:gapan, what would you recommend in the mean time to anyone who is concerned about security? As I recall, there is a problem of some kind with all webkit browsers. I don't follow these things closely so I may be misremembering that.
No my name's not gapan, but I felt like butting in :? Why not just download the Firefox 50.0 tarball, unpack and run?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Perhaps I've advised other Salix users too many times to stick with our packages ... all the exceptions begin with 'v' ... But yes, that makes sense.
maximus

Post by maximus »

An ESR package which fixes the SVG vulnerablility is available in the repos today, thanks :)
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

Hopefully, it is correct to attach my questions here:

1) Which would be the Firefox version to get from the repos? I see there are several?
2) I'm not sure anymore, how the localisation is done? Is it by installation of an add-on from the mozilla site? If not, in the repos i only see several "remote" versions, but no mainstream ones (like french, german, spanish ...)?

Thanks a lot in advance!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

jsfarinet wrote:1) Which would be the Firefox version to get from the repos? I see there are several?
The one that slapt-get/gslapt upgrades to automatically.
jsfarinet wrote:2) I'm not sure anymore, how the localisation is done? Is it by installation of an add-on from the mozilla site? If not, in the repos i only see several "remote" versions, but no mainstream ones (like french, german, spanish ...)?
"Mainstream" ones are included in the main package now.