xfce4 session configuration problem

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
jsfarinet

xfce4 session configuration problem

Post by jsfarinet »

My situation is this: I run - on top of xfce4 - xmonad. That worked pretty fine since, after an upgrade xmonad was not able to handle correctly the xfce4 panel (i don't know - and even less - inm understand the reason why). Now, tint2 panel is handled correctly and i want to substitute the default xfce4 panel by tint2.

But to do this, i'd need to prevent that the xfce4 panel is started defaultwise by starting the xfce desktop session. How can i do this?

In this context there arose a second question: Where can i set the status of the actual session is not stored when: logging out, powering down or restarting? I saw there is the option 'xfce-session-logout -f' - but for the other 2?

Thanks a lot in advance for your patience!
DidierSpaier

Re: xfce4 session configuration problem

Post by DidierSpaier »

Maybe look here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xm ... and_xmonad

More generally the Arch wiki is oftentimes helpful.

Other than that good luck but bear in mind that it's hard to help you for people who neither use xmonad or tint2 nor know which settings you made. More generally there is nothing wrong in replacing components of your system but then it's your duty to insure that all parts continue to fit together.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: xfce4 session configuration problem

Post by mimosa »

Yes, it's a question of trial and error. I do myself use xmonad, but not in conjunction with a panel of any kind. There obviously are people out there who do, but it may well be that the particular configuration you would like to achieve is unique - it is after all the advantage and attraction of any customization that it allows you to do just what you want - but that means the solution will be too, and you have the fun and satisfaction of working it out.

As a starting point, it might be helpful to look for information about using xfce with a panel other than its own, not necessarily tint2, not necessarily with xmonad. The documentation for XFCE is probably quite comprehensive, if not overwhelming.

You could also look at reverting the upgrade. It is not clear whether that was to xmonad or something else, but in either case, if it worked to your satisfaction as it was, it might be easiest to go back to that.