Salix Forum hangs on Acer Aspire 5070

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Dennola4

Salix Forum hangs on Acer Aspire 5070

Post by Dennola4 »

Hey guys,

Got a new (old) laptop from a friend: Acer Aspire 5070. Installed XFCE 14.1, but it wouldn't connect to the Internet. Reverted to 13.37 and it seems to run fine... except for a few glitches. The first and most annoying is that logging into this forum, and navigating from page to page is impossibly slow. It hangs for almost a minute, maybe more.

I am currently posting this from my phone. I reset Firefox to default, so there are no add-ons causing weirdness. I cleared caches and cookies and reset history, etc. So nothing there.

As a side note, I also notice that many of the 3D screen savers seem only partially rendered, leading me to suspect a graphics card or driver issue. But again, first things first.... I need to be able to navigate your site the way I can on all other sites. Facebook, YouTube, news sites, and so on. Only the Salix forum. ??? LOL

THOUGHTS??
There are no stupid questions.
Dennola4

Re: Salix Forum hangs on Acer Aspire 5070

Post by Dennola4 »

Adding to this that it seems to be only when I try to sign in. A response would be appreciated. Thanks.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Sounds like hardware on its last legs to me. I don't see how it could have anything to do with a particular website, such as this one.

But, maybe just low memory. You could try using a lighter DE/WM (Openbox), and a lighter browser (perhaps, midori). The laptop you mention is over ten years old, which is a very, very long time.

If you feel like trying something a bit different, and very lightweight, how about Salix Ratpoison? I think the last one was 14.0. There is a section on it in the Salix Startup Guide.
westms

Post by westms »

Dennola4 wrote:Adding to this that it seems to be only when I try to sign in. A response would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hello Dennola4,

your error message I have understood that you can access pages on the web, but not the Salix pages or not the Salix forum page.

My thoughts are, have you allowed the web browser to save the password and fill in the login form when trying to sign in? If you have mistyped the password, then the web browser always uses this wrong password when logging in and it goes wrong every time.

Try to delete this special password or all passwords in the web browser. Then delete the entire history together with caches and cookies and reload the browser.
Dennola4

Post by Dennola4 »

Thanks for your help guys. The computer is old.... but that's never stopped me before. I'm still running Salix on another computer I bought in 2004! LOL. Dell Inspiron 6000.... the box I had back when I switched from Zenwalk to Salix. Crazy, right?

Anyway, the password idea is good of course, but the system itself may be the bigger issue, I'm going to try rat poison. Sounds interesting. And by the way, I tried a lighter browser.... Sea Monkey, same issue. I'm going to mark this resolved, since I think it is obviously a hardware issue. Thanks again.