Salix 14.2 install fails on SBC

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
monkeyman

Re: Salix 14.2 install fails on SBC

Post by monkeyman »

Darn... Grub's in but still won't boot (even after using Boot Repair from a Ubuntu Mate 16.04 64-bit USB).
Image won't display above (too large I suppose)... Here the link to it at least https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-1lAP ... p=drivesdk
maximus

Post by maximus »

Did you perform any other steps after installing grub with slapt-get --install grub? I have never had to configure a system with grub2 or used Ubuntu, and I have no idea what Ubuntu's boot repair does. But (and this is just a wild guess from my experience with other bootloaders) I'm guessing you need to run some kind of command to update grub2's configuration file or edit this file yourself to be able to boot. Hopefully someone with more grub2 experience can help you.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

After installing grub you have to run this command. Also be sure os-prober is installed in your system.

Code: Select all

sudo /sbin/grubconfig
Every time you upgrade the kernel you have to run

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Reboot
You can see salix and any other os exist on grub menus.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

djemos - I was not aware of needing to run /sbin/grubconfig and that may very well be the cause of the problem. Grub is easier with Debian based systems (which almost always use it as the default bootloader anyway) and very few steps are required. djemos - I certainly did run update-grub (a number of times at different stages to try and avoid this exact issue) and the problem seems to be my not having run /sbin/grubconfig, but we'll find out fairly soon when I do it all over again (but including your suggestion of grubconfig this time).
Maximus - Yes I did. I altered /etc/default/grub and then update-grub. Then I had slapt-get install all updates and then ran update-grub again.
Unfortunate that nothing suggested running /sbin/grubconfig during the install as this issue might have been avoided. I can only hope the microSD card doesn't become fed up with constant formatting and 8 installs of Salix (14.1 3 times, 14.2 5 times as this will be the 5th). It is especially unfortunate that grub identified the existing kernels upon install and each update-grub, but doesn't provide the repair option under each kernel (likely because it didn't list any of the 2 kernels it automatically found during install and each update-grub, perhaps all down to djemos' suggestion of running /sbin/grubconfig not having been done by me during install. I think I should try to use the install USB to try and run that before actually installing the whole OS yet again.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

You shouldn't need to do a reinstall to get the bootloader working. If necessary you can chroot into the unbootable installation using the install USB (or Live). Useful hints can be found by searching the forum and wiki.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

grubconfig install grub to efi or mbr and also run update-grub.
you have to do this at least once, after installing grub package.
update-grub update grub with changes happened to your system. You run this after a kernel update.
Remember to not install e(lilo.)
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Because nothing was working to fix the problem I reinstalled Salix and eth0 works but slapt-get --update won't work (response: "slapt-get: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory") nor will wget (similar response), but ping google.com produces responses. It's as though my copy of Salix 14.2 was somehow corrupted... Except that the copy which was in the USB drive was the one which the original install had worked out almost all the way.
I tried pulling up a terminal from the install USB but it would not allow me to mount the disk that I had installed Salix to. Now I can't get any of it to work excluding the network, but only for ping. This is unpleasant: installing the OS but not being able to produce a bootable system...
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

I see what the problem is... nano /etc/fstab is displaying none of the devices from the disk I just installed it to. Instead it's showing me the USB drive's fstab:
devpts /dev/pts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
proc /proc defaults 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm defaults 0 0

It won't allow the mounting of /dev/mmcblk0p3 because it's not in the fstab file... Should I just take the chance and add it to the fstab file? I could always dd the Salix iso back onto it later if a problem arose (meaning if it was somehow impossible to remove the /dev/mmcblk0p3 entry from the install USB /etc/fstab).

Nope... It won't allow mounting the disk I just installed to even having added it to /etc/fstab
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Are the kernel modules for /dev/mmcblk0p3 loaded ? to be able to mount the device?
Second you try to install salix to sdc.
Since grub is not included in the iso, just for testing, if you have time then try this iso which have grub. Just boot and do an installation choosing grub as boot loader to see what is wrong.