Salix 14.2 install fails on SBC

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
monkeyman

Salix 14.2 install fails on SBC

Post by monkeyman »

Hello all,
My name is David and I have been attempting to install Salix XFCE 14.2 64 bit on my Gizmo 2 SBC (Single Board Computer) but it requires the use of Grub, as Lilo fails to install every time. I have tried the steps for install of Grub during OS installation, but it always responds to "grub-install /dev/mmcblk0" with "sh: grub-install: command not found". So I attempted to download (wget) and install the package but terminal responds to "wget https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14. ... ub2.tar.gz" with "resolving slackbuilds.org (slackbuilds.org)... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution. wget: unable to resolve hot address 'slackbuilds.org'"
So it appeared that the network connection was not active. I then followed the instructions from http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackw ... m_hdd#grub. So I followed the slackware page for setting up eth0 function seen here: https://docs.slackware.com/slackware:beginners_guide
Problem is that if up (which the /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file states as activating the network) drops me to a non-functional interface within the terminal (> instead of #) instead of starting the network. ifconfig eth0 up claims to work but the network does not function after submitting it. The same for /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 /eth0_start. How do I enable the DHCP eth0 network connection so that I can download grub2?

Thank you all who assist me with this issue,

David
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix 14.2 install fails on SBC

Post by mimosa »

Sometimes it is something other than eth0 (such as eth1). There is probably a way to play with this in NetworkManager, but you can see available interfaces by doing

Code: Select all

ifconfig -a
then if everything else is in fact ok, it should just be a matter of

dhcpcd eth4
(or whatever). Maybe something else is wrong, but that's what I'd try first.

If it works you may then wish to switch to Wicd, by installing it and:

sudo service stop networkmanager
sudo service start wicd
maximus

Post by maximus »

Can you paste the output of ifconfig? Eg:

$ ifconfig
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 10.0.0.3  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.0.0.255
        inet6 fe80::f279:59ff:fe8e:8034  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether f0:79:59:8e:80:34  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 26919  bytes 32490811 (30.9 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 1  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 15863  bytes 1397684 (1.3 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
        device interrupt 20  memory 0xf7100000-f7120000  
If you see the "inet (IP address here)" string then at least you know you're getting an IP from your DHCP server. If you have an IP, try

$ ping 8.8.8.8
If you get ping replies then your internet connection is up and working. If you try

$ ping google.com
and you get "ping: unknown host google.com" then the problem is name resolution. You can add a nameserver temporarily to /etc/resolv.conf:

$ echo 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' | sudo tee --append /etc/resolv.conf
and see if that solves the problem.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

monkeyman wrote: How do I enable the DHCP eth0 network connection so that I can download grub2?
Setup your wired network using netconfig

$ sudo netconfig
This will bring up a ncursers dialog box to setup your network
monkeyman wrote: I followed the slackware page for setting up eth0 function seen here: https://docs.slackware.com/slackware:beginners_guide
Problem is that if up (which the /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file states as activating the network) drops me to a non-functional interface within the terminal (> instead of #) instead of starting the network
Not sure what instructions you were following but it you typed into a terminal "if up" followed by pressing the enter key then yea it give you a > prompt. This is because bash is interpreting "if" as a logical if statement and is expecting additional input. This has nothing to do with configuring your network interface.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

This was response to mimosa, but the quote disappeared...
ifconfig -a = etho

dhcpcd eth0=

"eth0: IAID (my MAC address displayed)

eth0: soliciting a DHCP lease

eth0: offered 192.168.1.101 from 192.168.1.1

eth0: probing for all IPv4LL address

eth0: leased 192.168.1.101 for 86400 seconds

eth0: adding route to 192.168.1.0/24

eth0: adding default route via 192.168.1.1

forked to background, child pid 12767"

Now the original issue comes back into play =
"wget https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14. ... ub2.tar.gz" (picked the file up from https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.0/system/grub2/)
Response from terminal "..." It just worked this time. 15 minutes after I entered your recommended dhcpcd eth0. So you solved the issue, but it's curious that it took such a large period of time to allow the network device it had claimed to have activated to actually function. It is still claiming "sh: grub-install: command not found" even after following with "tar -xvzf grub2.tar.gz" (following instructions from http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackw ... st_install)
Network issue resolved, but grub still not installing.
Last edited by monkeyman on 23. Mar 2017, 17:16, edited 2 times in total.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

laprjns wrote:
monkeyman wrote: How do I enable the DHCP eth0 network connection so that I can download grub2?
Setup your wired network using netconfig

$ sudo netconfig
This will bring up a ncursers dialog box to setup your network
monkeyman wrote: I followed the slackware page for setting up eth0 function seen here: https://docs.slackware.com/slackware:beginners_guide
Problem is that if up (which the /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file states as activating the network) drops me to a non-functional interface within the terminal (> instead of #) instead of starting the network
Not sure what instructions you were following but it you typed into a terminal "if up" followed by pressing the enter key then yea it give you a > prompt. This is because bash is interpreting "if" as a logical if statement and is expecting additional input. This has nothing to do with configuring your network interface.
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I was well ahead of you and had "netconfig"'ed dozens of times before I created this post (and "sudo" is not required in the root terminal which ending an install with an exit to terminal provides, but probably a good idea to post for others in a bootable system who are having such trouble).
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

This was response to maximus, but the quote disappeared...
I had been repeatedly shown an ip address, netmask and broadcast address in response to ifconfig, but ping (you might consider adding "Press Ctrl + C to stop the pinging if you are provided responses) provided no responses and wget did not function. Mimosa has solved this portion of the problem.
I clearly made a mistake in my initial post in not having stated that I am 8 years into my Linux experience but primarily with Debian based distros (Maemo, Debian, Ubuntu, Pinguy). It might have indicated that I have enough background to handle average/common terminal commands.
Last edited by monkeyman on 23. Mar 2017, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

I cannot boot the GizmoSphere Gizmo 2 without a Windows or Grub bootloader. The command "install-grub" does not work, even if Grub has been downloaded and install of as much attempted.
I cd'd to /grub2/, then chmod +x (all of the files within that directory excluding "README") but "install-grub" and "update-grub" still do not work.
"install-grub /dev/mmcblk0" = "sh: install-grub: command not found"
Following the instructions here: https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.0/system/grub2/ the response to "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" is " sh: grub-mkconfig: command not found".
What am I perhaps missing, leaving out, forgetting to do (./grub2/doinst.sh worked without suggestion of issue excluding my hard drive light not flashing to indicate any action actually occurring there) or otherwise? What must be done to install grub properly (or from where must I wget to enable proper installation of as much)?
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

There we go! Found 2nd 1/2 of solution here: https://www.linux.com/learn/intro-slack ... management where it informed me of "slap-get" where I updated then upgraded existing packages, then "slapt-get --install grub" installed grub2. Now my system should be bootable.
All thanks to Mimosa for the fast network true activation command.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

By the way, welcome to Salix! Please do have a look at the Salix user guide (link on homepage), especially chapter three on package management. The Guide is a bit out of date, and I can't remember if it mentions the command line tool spi (check its man page).