icons disappeared

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
ikke

icons disappeared

Post by ikke »

Did a frugal install of the xfce4 version. Works nicely.

Made today a additional module containing all the available updates (slapt-get --update). Again : works fine but the original icons on the desktop have disappeared (replaced by a white rectangle with a small red cross inside).

Anything I can do?

Thank you for kind attention
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: icons disappeared

Post by gapan »

Your new module probably includes something that replaces system files that assign applications to filetypes. I would look into /usr/share/applications/ and ~/.local/share/applications first.
ikke

Post by ikke »

gapan wrote:Your new module probably includes something that replaces system files that assign applications to filetypes. I would look into /usr/share/applications/ and ~/.local/share/applications first.
Thank you for good advice.

Thought that the old /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache should stay. But it appears I am wrong. Am at a loss...

Thank you for kind attention.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

It could help to know what you installed recently. One way would be to type in a terminal a command like this one

Code: Select all

find /var/log/packages -mtime -3
This command lists the packages you installed since 3 days or less. Adjust to the number of days since your last update, then please post the results. To know which packages were removed you could run similarly:

find /var/log/removed_packages -mtime -3
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you for reaction.

The " /var/log/removed_package" directory is empty since I didn't remove anything.

find /var/log/packages -mtime -3
gave me the list of the packages I have been updating ( with slapt-get --upgrade ):
"
/var/log/packages/expat-2.2.0-x86_64-1_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/ffmpeg-3.0.7-x86_64-2gv
/var/log/packages/flash-plugin-25.0.0.127-x86_64-1gv
/var/log/packages/gnutls-3.5.8-x86_64-1_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/libcgroup-0.41-x86_64-2_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/libpcap-1.8.1-x86_64-1_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/libpng-1.6.27-x86_64-1_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/mozilla-firefox-45.8.0esr-x86_64-1gv
/var/log/packages/openssh-7.4p1-x86_64-1_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/openssl-1.0.2k-x86_64-1_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/openssl-solibs-1.0.2k-x86_64-1_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/pidgin-2.12.0-x86_64-1_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/python-2.7.13-x86_64-2_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/samba-4.4.13-x86_64-1_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/tcpdump-4.9.0-x86_64-1_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.8-x86_64-1_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/zim-0.65-x86_64-2gv
"
Do not see at first sight which file made the icons disappear ...

Thank you.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

ikke wrote:The " /var/log/removed_package" directory is empty since I didn't remove anything.
This should not be the case, as upgrading means removing the previous version then installing the new one so you did remove packages in the upgrading process. Please check again /var/log/removed_packages.

Also, what did you mean by "frugal install" in your first post? Didn't you install everything? Then what did you not install?
ikke

Post by ikke »

DidierSpaier wrote:
ikke wrote:The " /var/log/removed_package" directory is empty since I didn't remove anything.
This should not be the case, as upgrading means removing the previous version then installing the new one so you did remove packages in the upgrading process. Please check again /var/log/removed_packages.
This is true : the " /var/log/removed_package" directory is empty. I didn't remove anything
DidierSpaier wrote:Also, what did you mean by "frugal install" in your first post? Didn't you install everything? Then what did you not install?
"frugal install" is the iso put on an usb-stick or hard disk. See "install_on_usb.sh"(Dimitris Tzemos knows everything about it) on the iso. All the important files (vmlinuz - initrd.gz) and directories(modules - optional) are put in the /boot-directory of an usb-stick or hard disk. It is not a full install!
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

ikke wrote:This is true : the " /var/log/removed_package" directory is empty. I didn't remove anything
No, it is not. But as the modification date of these files is November 6 2016, to show them just run "ls /var/log/removed_packages" and do not forget the "s" at the end (see linked to pic)
ikke wrote:"frugal install" is the iso put on an usb-stick or hard disk. See "install_on_usb.sh"(Dimitris Tzemos knows everything about it) on the iso. All the important files (vmlinuz - initrd.gz) and directories(modules - optional) are put in the /boot-directory of an usb-stick or hard disk. It is not a full install!
I did just that, to check: installed in VirtualBox from Salix-live, chose a minimal install (assuming that was what you meant), then ran "sudo slapt-get --upgrade". Everything went smoothly and no icon disappeared (see linked pic). Only small issue, "reposetup" didn't work, so I edited /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc by hand, then everything worked as expected.

Image: http://slint.fr/testing/Salix-live.png
ikke

Post by ikke »

DidierSpaier wrote:image: http://slint.fr/testing/Salix-live.png
Thank you for reaction. Am glad for you that under VirtualBox there are no problems. Guess you did a full install.
My problem remains : in the new module with the updates there must be a file that overwrites the original file responsible for the icons to appear. But which one?
Merci!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I'm guessing it's firefox and zim. Those are the two that are updating mime info during installation.