How to add Alien multilib repository to slapt-getrc

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Tamarix

How to add Alien multilib repository to slapt-getrc

Post by Tamarix »

Hi
New Salix user is here.

I have installed multilib and compat32 packages on top of Salix thanks to Alien Bob instruction in slackdocs. I tried to add Alien repository to slapt-src file so that multilib packages can be updated by slapt-get. So, I added this line to the file:

Code: Select all

SOURCE=http://bear.alienbase.nl/mirrors/people/alien/multilib/14.2/:CUSTOM
According to slapt-get-jaos.org this gives higher priority to multilib. But when I run slapt-get --upgrade multilib packages tend to be replaced with their Salix counterparts. What is wrong here?
DidierSpaier

Re: How to add Alien multilib repository to slapt-getrc

Post by DidierSpaier »

Hi and welcome to this forum.

I am puzzled as I fail to see a package in this repo whose short name (part of the name before the version) matches a Salix package's names: all the package names in this repo include "compat" or "multilib" and none of the packages' names in the Salix repo does, as far as I know.

Could you provide an example?

Also, as a reminder after having added a repository to slapt-getrc you should run slapt-get -u or spi -u.

Didier
Tamarix

Post by Tamarix »

Thanks
For instance slapt-get tries to upgrade gcc-5.3.0_multilib-x86_64-3alien with gcc 5.3.0-x86_64-3 from salix/x86_64/slackware-14.2/ repository. This is the case for other packages with multilib packages too. Slapt-get tries to replace these packages with their 64 bit counterparts from slackware repository. I changed priority of multilib repository from CUSTOM to DEFAULT but there is no difference.

And thanks for reminder. ;)
Last edited by Tamarix on 22. Apr 2017, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Tamarix

Post by Tamarix »

Strangely, I changed again multilib priority from DEFAULT to CUSTOM and ran slapt-get -u again. This time some compat32 packages showed as upgradable to their higher version from multilib repository. So the issue was solved.

Thanks
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I believe it can be simple explained by not updating the package data base before you ran slapt-get --upgrade. I just added multi-libs (using djemos install-multilib script) and if I try to upgrade without updating the the package database i get the following:

rich[Desktop]$ sudo slapt-get --upg -s
Reading Package Lists...Done
The following packages have been EXCLUDED:
  glibc glibc-i18n glibc-profile glibc-solibs glibc-zoneinfo hplip 
The following packages will be upgraded:
  gcc gcc-g++ gcc-gfortran gcc-gnat gcc-go gcc-java gcc-objc 
7 upgraded, 0 reinstalled, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove, 6 not upgraded.
Need to get 89.8MB of archives.
After unpacking 138.7MB disk space will be freed.
gcc-5.3.0_multilib-x86_64-3alien is to be upgraded to version 5.3.0-x86_64-3
gcc-g++-5.3.0_multilib-x86_64-3alien is to be upgraded to version 5.3.0-x86_64-3
gcc-gfortran-5.3.0_multilib-x86_64-3alien is to be upgraded to version 5.3.0-x86_64-3
gcc-gnat-5.3.0_multilib-x86_64-3alien is to be upgraded to version 5.3.0-x86_64-3
gcc-go-5.3.0_multilib-x86_64-3alien is to be upgraded to version 5.3.0-x86_64-3
gcc-java-5.3.0_multilib-x86_64-3alien is to be upgraded to version 5.3.0-x86_64-3
gcc-objc-5.3.0_multilib-x86_64-3alien is to be upgraded to version 5.3.0-x86_64-3
Done
Once I updated the package database by doing a slapt-get --update I get the following:

rich[Desktop]$ sudo slapt-get -upg -s
Password: 
Reading Package Lists...Done
The following packages have been EXCLUDED:
  glibc-zoneinfo hplip 
0 upgraded, 0 reinstalled, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove, 2 not upgraded.
Done
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"