Issue with Parole [SOLVED]

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
pourpier

Issue with Parole [SOLVED]

Post by pourpier »

Hello !
I tried to launch a video with Parole. I always got the following error message: Gstreamer runtime error: cannot initialize Xv output. I have VLC which works fine and also mpv which works fine. I do have the xv libraries installed. I have all the necessary gst libraries installed.
I don't know why I have this issue.
Best regards,
Serge
DidierSpaier

Re: Issue with Parole

Post by DidierSpaier »

Hello,

If possible please give a link to this video, so we can try and check if we encounter the same issue.
pourpier

Post by pourpier »

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx-h3n0RWso
I did several things. I tried to open this video from a location without success. I downloaded it with youtube-dl with the best format. I tried to launch Parole by opening a file and selecting the video I downloaded without success. I thought maybe it is a problem of codecs. I converted with VLC the video from mp4 to ogg. I tried again without success !
But I can watch it in VLC or with mpv without any problem.
Best regards,
Serge
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

After launching Parole, menu Tools/Preferences/Display tab, change to a different video output that works for you.
pourpier

Post by pourpier »

gapan wrote:After launching Parole, menu Tools/Preferences/Display tab, change to a different video output that works for you.
Hello gapan _
This fixed the issue. The default display comes with Xv and I had to choose X11 without Xv. What amazes me is that I have everything related to Xv installed so I don't understand the error message. On other distros I don't have that issue. Now to be fair and honest this wouldn't have been a deal breaker as I can use VLC and mpv.
Best regards and thanks a lot for your help and quick answer.
pourpier
PS: I don't know how to transform this post into SOLVED.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Just edit the subject line of your original post.

I'm glad you got it sorted out!
pourpier

Post by pourpier »

mimosa wrote:
Just edit the subject line of your original post.

I'm glad you got it sorted out!
Hello mimosa,
I have another problem now. I can play a video when I have downloaded one thanks to youtube-dl. But if I launch Parole and I try to open a location I get the message Parole needs a decoder text/html to play this file. It proposes to install one. I click on install but nothing happens.
I searched on the internet but found nothing interesting. Someone solved this issue with libgnomevfs2=extra which is not available for Salix.
Do you have any idea ?
Best regards,
Serge
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Maybe this:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175562470/

That is, try installing the "optional dependencies" listed here:
https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14. ... bad/README
https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14. ... gly/README

It's probably a long shot though. It may be that Parole would need to be rebuilt with this functionality, even if everything needed were present.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

pourpier wrote:But if I launch Parole and I try to open a location I get the message Parole needs a decoder text/html to play this file.
Are you trying to play a web page?
pourpier

Post by pourpier »

gapan wrote:
pourpier wrote:But if I launch Parole and I try to open a location I get the message Parole needs a decoder text/html to play this file.
Are you trying to play a web page?
Hello gapan !
In VLC or SMPlayer when I go to YouTube and I copy the link of the video into the appropriate field I have no problem at all.
But in Parole when I did it I had the aforementioned message. Each time it proposes to install a package to fix the issue but when I click on install nothing happens. If I download the video with youtube-dl I can open the file with Parole !
Best regards,
Serge