Problems with Font, login resolution and OpenDNS

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
silentwind

Problems with Font, login resolution and OpenDNS

Post by silentwind »

I have these problems:

1. I've tried to change the Font in Settings -> Appearance -> Fonts but it reverts back to default after a new login.

2. Both Grub's and the login screen resolution do not match the desktop one. I've changed the desktop one from Settings -> Display, immediately after install since it was not right also. Same thing happened when running the live iso. It's a Philips 192E LCD monitor whose native resolution should be about 1366x768, but it never worked properly with that. It only works well at 1024x768. Maybe that causes the resolution mismatch.

3. I've tried to configure OpenDNS according to:
https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/ar ... 087-Ubuntu

which has worked for me with Ubuntu, without having to use step 8 NOTE there.

But in Salix, it doesn't work. Trying to access
http://welcome.opendns.com give me the error "Oops! You aren't using OpenDNS yet."

Since I don't want to break anything, I'll refrain from using any terminal commands until I receive a solution that works for Salix.

Thank you.
westms

Re: Problems with Font, login resolution and OpenDNS

Post by westms »

This page left intentionally blank
Last edited by westms on 23. Sep 2017, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
silentwind

Post by silentwind »

westms wrote:
silentwind wrote: 1. I've tried to change the Font in Settings -> Appearance -> Fonts but it reverts back to default after a new login.
No, not on my Salix installation with Xfce. The settings are retained.
Well, that's weird. I've web searched about it but didn't really found any such problem. Can nobody really replicate this in Salix? From other similar past issues, what is most likely to affect fonts?
westms wrote:
silentwind wrote:2. Both Grub's and the login screen resolution do not match the desktop one. I've changed the desktop one from Settings -> Display, immediately after install since it was not right also. Same thing happened when running the live iso. It's a Philips 192E LCD monitor whose native resolution should be about 1366x768, but it never worked properly with that. It only works well at 1024x768. Maybe that causes the resolution mismatch.
For my monitors, I can press the Menu button to display an on-screen menu that displays the current resolution, the vertical refresh, and the horizontal sync frequencies. If your monitor can do this, what image resolution is displayed while Grub pauses, the login screen is displayed, the desktop appears?

Please show your Grub configuration files and your full /var/log/Xorg.0.log and put all files into individual code tags.
I can access the Monitor Menu here as well. When after login, in normal desktop, it says 1024x768@75Hz. As I've said, this is not the monitor native resolution, however it is the only one that works well!
At login screen, Monitor Menu shows 1360x768@60Hz. This again is not the native resolution, which, as I've said, it is supposed to be 1366x768.

I think some file must be edited to force both Grub and login to adopt 1024x768. Something very similar -- and it was a very simple procedure -- I was able to do for Xubuntu in the past by use of 'gksu nvidia-settings'. But I have a feeling there are multiple ways of editing that specific file which contains resolution configurations...

Here are some links for /etc/default/grub and /var/log/Xorg.0.log, in the same order:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/49dce ... 62ee395e4d
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/3933b ... a0e859ad46

I don't know if there is a way to upload such long files directly on the forum. I've tried the "Code" buttons from the message editor bar, but then it didn't let me post because the message was too long. I hope it's not a problem if I'm using external links.
westms wrote:
silentwind wrote:3. I've tried to configure OpenDNS according to:
https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/ar ... 087-Ubuntu

which has worked for me with Ubuntu, without having to use step 8 NOTE there.

But in Salix, it doesn't work. Trying to access
http://welcome.opendns.com give me the error "Oops! You aren't using OpenDNS yet."

Since I don't want to break anything, I'll refrain from using any terminal commands until I receive a solution that works for Salix.
The 228007087 Ubuntu article shows a proper way. So I would try it also if necessary. This "step 8 NOTE:" is probably not necessary and thus not possible. The commands, paths, and files for the Ubuntu and Slackware or Salix environments differ completely. Nothing can be transferred from one to the other.

However, the configurations of the two NetworkManager installations can be compared. I think you are told that you are unknown on the OpenDNS server. How did you enable the NetworkManager on Ubuntu to tell the OpenDNS server who you are?

There is, however, a further approach, a better one, which is available when a suitable router or a suitable router-modem is used. Not all routers can store the additional authentication data. The NetworkManager then always gets via DHCP the OpenDNS server IP addresses and stores them in /etc/resolv.conf.

There are two other ways, as far as I know it. An intended and a dirty one. If necessary, I will write about this later.
All I've done in the past in Xubuntu was to follow the first seven steps of the article and DONE! I had no need to proceed to step 8, nor did I tweak any router settings, nor change the default installed Network Manager in any way! I think there must be a simple solution here as well.

Thanks for trying to help, but I don't want to be a bother and waste the time of others unnecessarily. If there are no simple fixes, let's just leave it at that. These are minor annoyances only, and I could endure them somehow, I suppose.
westms

Post by westms »

This page left intentionally blank
Last edited by westms on 23. Sep 2017, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
silentwind

Post by silentwind »

I've had no success trying to change Grub resolutions by GRUB_GFXMODE and I dont' want a text only interface, if I understood you properly. I guess I'll just have to drop the Grub issue, besides dropping the Fonts one as well.
westms wrote: You did not write a word about using the nVidia driver. Also not whether you use the VGA or the DVI connection. Both I could only recognize from Xorg.0.log.
No, because the problem with resolutions is beyond Nvidia. It had happened on Salix before I installed the Nvidia driver and it had happened on every Linux distro I've tried so far.
westms wrote: Important X server issues are missing. Has the log file been changed?
I'm not that advanced in IT to be able to understand that, sorry.
westms wrote: You obviously use the VGA port.
I don't know about advantages of DVI over VGA. I know hardware even less than I know software. This PC is as it is and the same configuration worked with Ubuntu with some extra minimal configurations in the past, as I've already said.
westms wrote: In /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d the following files can be found after the regular Salix installation:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   92 Apr  9  2016 10-amdgpu.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1099 Jun  4  2016 10-evdev.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1350 Aug 15 21:39 10-quirks.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  444 Nov 12  2015 50-synaptics.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  115 Jan 16  2016 50-vmmouse.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1502 Aug 15 21:39 90-keyboard-layout.conf
If you have other, then probably by installing the nVidia driver.
When e.g. other files exist, then limitations of screen resolution may be included. Please, show other directory contents. In a second step then also the contents of the relevant files.
I have no extra files in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d other those six original from vanilla Salix.
westms wrote: You have updated the kernel to version 4.4.75. Did you update all of the following packages?
kernel-headers-4.4.75-x86-1
kernel-modules-4.4.75-x86_64-1
kernel-firmware-20170626git-noarch-1

Especially the kernel module package?
Yes, everything with "kernel" in the name, as I've been instructed already here on the forum.
westms wrote: OpenDNS:
To change a connection or set up a new connection, one have to choose between several methods for IP address retrieval. Of importance for IPv4 are the two selections "Automatic (DHCP)" and "Automatic (DHCP), addresses only". Please check, whether the latter has been applied. The same is also necessary for IPv6.
Yes, "Automatic (DHCP) addresses only" is set. In Ubuntu, I had no need to tweak the IPv6 settings.
westms wrote:
silentwind wrote:Thanks for trying to help, but I don't want to be a bother and waste the time of others unnecessarily.
What's this? A back out? You have to know what you want.
What I wanted was a simple solution, in order not to waste somebody's time and efforts. Not beyond the few necessary minutes, I suppose. Instead, I've wasted some hours trying to figure these things out without good results... and probably you've lost important time as well. I apologize for any inconvenience on my part.

My intuition, based on past experience with Ubuntu, tells me the solutions to the problems posted here are simple, though. I may be wrong.

Look, I appreciate everything you've done so far, but I don't seem to be making any progress. It may be the case that yours is the only way to fix these and at the same time I'm too poor in my IT knowledge to grasp the essence of it...

There's no need to pursue this any further. I'll somehow deal with things as they are. Thanks again.
elcore

Post by elcore »

should be about 1366x768, but it never worked properly with that. It only works well at 1024x768.
1024x768 is VESA standard, 1366x768 is not. I've got the exact same problem with 1680x1050
I dont' want a text only interface
Then use gfxterm module, I'll share my grub header if that helps.

if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  load_env
fi
set default="1"

function load_video {
  if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
  else
    insmod vga
  fi
}

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
   font=unicode
else
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd0,msdos1'
    font="/boot/grub/fonts/unicode.pf2"
fi

if loadfont $font ; then
  set gfxmode=1024x768
  set gfxpayload=keep
  load_video
  insmod gfxterm
  set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
  set lang=en_US
  insmod gettext
  insmod tga
  set theme='/boot/grub/themes/theme.txt'
fi

terminal_output gfxterm
set timeout=6
maximus

Post by maximus »

silentwind, how do you connect to the internet? I'm guessing you're connecting via ethernet cable to a router/modem of some sort? I'm making an "uneducated" guess here but maybe there is some bug in Slackware's NetworkManager implementation that's causing the openDNS resolvers you specify to be overwritten by those aquired through DHCP. You could try using a fixed IP instead, then you avoid this problem, if it is indeed the problem. This shouldn't be at all difficult to do (and as with nearly everything there are several ways to do this), you just choose an IP outside of the range assigned by the DHCP server in your router. To know what that range is you need to log into your router and find out. I wouldn't worry about taking up peoples time, if someone has the time and the will to answer then they will, if not they won't! Simple :D

PS: could you copy/paste the output of running the following command in a terminal?

sudo sed '/^[[:blank:]]*#/d' /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
silentwind

Post by silentwind »

@ elcore;

I appreciate the effort, but I'm afraid I don't understand what a "gfxterm module" concretely is or how is it used, although I've web searched the term. Did you mean I should past that code into etc/default/grub or?!...

@ maximus
I'm guessing you're connecting via ethernet cable to a router/modem of some sort?
Yes, exactly. It's a desktop PC with wired connection to a wireless router. I guess that's the most common set-up.
You could try using a fixed IP instead, then you avoid this problem, if it is indeed the problem.
I was aware of this option and found some web articles decribing the procedure. Maybe I'll use it as a last resort, though it's still curious why the error occurs.
I wouldn't worry about taking up peoples time, if someone has the time and the will to answer then they will, if not they won't! Simple
If only it were that simple. Many times before people let me knew in more or less direct terms that "Time is money, you know..."

The output of

sudo sed '/^[[:blank:]]*#/d' /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf

is:

IPADDR[0]=""
NETMASK[0]=""
USE_DHCP[0]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""

IPADDR[1]=""
NETMASK[1]=""
USE_DHCP[1]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[1]=""

IPADDR[2]=""
NETMASK[2]=""
USE_DHCP[2]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[2]=""

IPADDR[3]=""
NETMASK[3]=""
USE_DHCP[3]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[3]=""

GATEWAY=""

DEBUG_ETH_UP="no"
I'm making this reply for reference only, maybe it will help others. I kinda gave up fixing these things after some days with broken schedules. Thank you all.
maximus

Post by maximus »

silentwind wrote:Many times before people let me knew in more or less direct terms that "Time is money, you know..."
It makes no sense to me in this case why someone choosing to answer a question would chastise the asker for asking it! If their time is so precious, why are they replying at all?

I use Salix on a daily basis, both at home and at work. Slackware is a stable and flexible operating system, which Salix builds upon and supplements with excellent tools that make configuration and maintenance a breeze. All of this is made available to everyone, free of any charge or commitments. We have the developers of Slackware and Salix to thank for this.

Obviously I can't speak for others, but I would like to think that anyone offering advice on this forum does so because they appreciate the efforts made by everyone involved, and they would like to give something back to the community that surrounds and supports it.

Back to NetworkManager; regardless of how it worked in Ubuntu, the fact is it's not working the same for you in Salix. I can't help so much directly with NetworkManager itself, I don't even have it installed. But what you want to do should be perfectly possible without using NetworkManager at all. The question is, are you willing to try? ;)
silentwind

Post by silentwind »

maximus wrote:
silentwind wrote:Many times before people let me knew in more or less direct terms that "Time is money, you know..."
It makes no sense to me in this case why someone choosing to answer a question would chastise the asker for asking it! If their time is so precious, why are they replying at all?
Quoting Kyle Katarn: "I've been offended by professionals..." :)

I really have no idea why the universe is designed like that. But in this world, it's easier to do harm than good, I guess... As for the why of it, the philosophy on the subject takes entire libraries!
maximus wrote: But what you want to do should be perfectly possible without using NetworkManager at all. The question is, are you willing to try? ;)
You are really helpful, but I'm afraid I don't have the time and energy to pursue this any longer. I'm sorry for any trouble I might have caused and thanks again. Have a beautiful day.