Failed to mount smartphone/tablet and problem with Uget

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
silentwind

Failed to mount smartphone/tablet and problem with Uget

Post by silentwind »

Last minute new problems! Unfortunately, I won't have the time and capacity to deal with these issues, so I can't provide further answers.

I bring them to your knowledge in hope that someone could take them into consideration and maybe provide a fix to them so that at least others may benefit. Assuming someone can replicate these problems/bugs, of course.

1. Salix throws the following example error when trying to open either smartphone (Xiaomi Redmi 2) or tablet (Lenovo Tab 3 Essential) connected via usb cable. These are common devices, so the model is not the problem. Besides, they open well in other distros.

Failed to mount "Redmi"
unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,009]'

2. Uget download manager crashes when trying to open a torrent file. This happened in Debian as well, but not in Ubuntu, nor in Manjaro.

Never in my posts I have intended to say "distro_you_name_it" is better than Salix. I really hope Salix gets better and better by fixing these common (and serious enough) problems.

Thank you. Farewell.
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Re: Failed to mount smartphone/tablet and problem with Uget

Post by Van_Vinkle »

1) This advice from Gapan will give you a clue:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6725&p=38848&hilit=android#p38848
PelleB

Post by PelleB »

None of those work here, I tried on two computers, I only get a message "No raw devces found". I have no problems to connect to the phone using GhostBSD, and I have no problem connecting to a digital camera using Salix (64-bit, ver. 14.2).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I just tried with my android phone and Xfce and it just works. I plug the phone, it shows a menu to select USB connection type (already set to MTP), an icon appears on the Xfce desktop, I click on it and I can see my phone's files.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I confirm too. I also plug the phone, it shows a menu to select USB and from there i can see mtp and also MT65xx Android phone where i can mount the phone and see all files. I also see my sdcard and i can also mount it and see the included files.
PelleB

Post by PelleB »

Peculiar. I tried all possible combinations, none worked. In 14.1 (with a different telephone) it worked without installing anything extra, I probably used Fluxbox and Thunar. As I have the camera in the telephone only for emergency cases, and use the telephone mainly for talking and texting, I have not put much effort into solving the problem. Maybe there will be a new version of Salix that solves it?

The thelephone is a Huawei Cam-L21, Android v. 6.0.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I'm guessing it's your phone that is the problem. Take a look here: https://www.phonearena.com/news/How-to- ... qd_id77432
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

just plugged in my LG phone with Android to transfer photos and it worked without any problem. Plugged it in, MTP was recognized, opened shotwell and transferred/imported the photos, shotwell even asks if you want to delete the pictures from the phone after importing them....pretty automagic.
PelleB

Post by PelleB »

gapan wrote:I'm guessing it's your phone that is the problem. Take a look here: https://www.phonearena.com/news/How-to- ... qd_id77432
That is the first guess I made, so I tried with different cables etc on different computers. The article does not really bring any new light, I have not tried the MTP-enable though.

On GhostBSD I use a program with the short name of "Android File Transfer for Linux" https://github.com/whoozle/android-file-transfer-linux, and I have no problems with that. However, Thunar can not mount the drives, it shows a CD-icon and then tells me that no raw devices are found (or something similar), the same in both GhostBSD (11 alpha, I think) and Salix. I can not make "Android File Transfer for Linux" work in Salix, I got a precompiled file (CLI-version) from somewhere (Fedora, I think).

Another peculiar issue I have with Thunar and USB is that Thunar sees USB-sticks as read-only. Maybe not the first time I mount a stick, but the second time nearly always. It is annoying, but all other filemanagers see the stick as read-write, so I use one of them in stead. I had this problem already in 14.1 (32-bit). Maybe the two problems are connected?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

PelleB wrote:The article does not really bring any new light, I have not tried the MTP-enable though.
So you haven't tried it, but it doesn't work, right? :roll: