Failed to mount smartphone/tablet and problem with Uget

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
PelleB

Re: Failed to mount smartphone/tablet and problem with Uget

Post by PelleB »

gapan wrote:
PelleB wrote:The article does not really bring any new light, I have not tried the MTP-enable though.
So you haven't tried it, but it doesn't work, right? :roll:
What is the difference from choosing mtp with the built in chooser of the phone?

This topic started as "can not connect using Salix, though can connect using....", if I read and understood it correct.

It seems that it is necessary to be root to connect to the phone, is that the way it is supposed to be? Anyway, gmtp, jmtpfs etc. work when used by root (or sudoer).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

PelleB wrote:What is the difference from choosing mtp with the built in chooser of the phone?
None, I guess, but it was my understanding that in most Android 6 phones that option is completely absent by default and you should do all that to get it back.
PelleB wrote:It seems that it is necessary to be root to connect to the phone, is that the way it is supposed to be? Anyway, gmtp, jmtpfs etc. work when used by root (or sudoer).
Well, why didn't you say so earlier? :D

That means it's most probably a permissions problem. Plug your phone to your PC and run:

Code: Select all

sudo lsusb
to find out your phone's vendor and product IDs. If you're not sure which one that is, run the command once without your phone plugged in and once after plugging it in. It should be something like this:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1234:5678 Manufacturer details...
Now create a udev configuration file:

sudo vi /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
(or you know, with any editor you like) and add a line like the next one in it:

ATTR{idVendor}=="1234", ATTR{idProduct}=="5678", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
replacing the vendor and product IDs with the ones you got earlier. Reboot, and it should work.
PelleB

Post by PelleB »

Well, why didn't you say so earlier?
The answer will surprise you, I did not know...

In Android 6 the MTP option is not default, I think that, and that there is no "USB mass storage" option is the difference to the previous versions.

I followed your instructions and now it works, at least for me and with my phone, many thanks! However, I think there should be some easy to understand instructions somewhere easy to find on the website. Almost everyone has got a mobile phone these days, and connecting them to a computer is something almost every user need.