[Solved] Booting Problem

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Atip

Re: [Solved] Booting Problem

Post by Atip »

Got myself a new second hand mother board.

The old MB had 6 capacitors bloaded. :evil:

Thanks again westms
Tux012

Re: Booting Problem

Post by Tux012 »

westms wrote:Grub-2 is already loaded, I've read. Perhaps the waiting time until automatic booting is extended.

There is the Menu Mode, the Edit-Mode, the Command Line Interface and the Rescue Mode.
What is displayed after loading Grub-2? The Menu Mode or the Command Line Interface?

Does the file grub.cfg exists?
Is the Grub-2 environment variable 'prefix' set to the location of this file?

Is it possible to select an entry from the menu in Menu Mode and load a kernel manually by pressing the enter key?
Thanks a lot for the help, I've solved. My problem was grub that shows at first line the kernel-smp. My notebook has a single-processor cpu but on my system also the kernel-smp is installed (I don't know why, maybe because I installed the OS from a live-cd.). I've installed grub-customizer and set grub's default line with the kernel-huge and now all works well.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Tux012 wrote:Thanks a lot for the help, I've solved. My problem was grub that shows at first line the kernel-smp. My notebook has a single-processor cpu but on my system also the kernel-smp is installed (I don't know why, maybe because I installed the OS from a live-cd.). I've installed grub-customizer and set grub's default line with the kernel-huge and now all works well.
(sigh...) You've got it wrong. It doesn't matter if you have a single-core processor or not. You should be using kernel-huge-smp. You should only use kernel-huge if your CPU supports only i586 instructions and does not support i686 instructions. Almost any CPU built after 1997 supports i686 instructions... If you're using kernel-huge and have a CPU built after 1997, you're most likely missing on several CPU features.
Tux012

Post by Tux012 »

Sorry, I was wrong. I've set grub's default line with Salix 14.02 with linux 4.4.88 that is the third line in advanced options in my grub's menu. Is it right? Thanks.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Tux012 wrote:Sorry, I was wrong. I've set grub's default line with Salix 14.02 with linux 4.4.88 that is the third line in advanced options in my grub's menu. Is it right? Thanks.
I have no idea what that means.
westms

Post by westms »

Tux012 wrote:Sorry, I was wrong. I've set grub's default line with Salix 14.02 with linux 4.4.88 that is the third line in advanced options in my grub's menu. Is it right? Thanks.
Well, it works now, anyway.

In order to find out what is currently installed, show the output of the command:

Code: Select all

slapt-get --list | grep ^kernel
If grub-mkconfig exists, also show the output of:

Code: Select all

sudo grub-mkconfig
Atip

Post by Atip »

New technic to warm power supply before booting.
Use a hair dryer full strength. ;)
Works great. :D
westms

Post by westms »

Atip wrote:New technic to warm power supply before booting.
Use a hair dryer full strength. ;)
Works great. :D
Only once or twice. If the power supply already has burst open capacitors, then it was probably the last time. The method described is suitable for the last time resuscitation. The time gained with this should be used to procure computer replacement components.

Your enthusiasm makes me formulate a warning.

If the hair dryer is used on a housing opening of the power supply, then components behind this opening will be overheated. For example, insulation on leads or transformers can melt, as a result of which a fire can occur or an electrical voltage can be applied to the housing after switching on the power supply.