installing vmware - gcc version [solved]

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

installing vmware - gcc version [solved]

Post by mimosa »

On first running, vmware 14 looks for gcc to compile some kernel modules - but it appears to require a minimum of gcc 7.1.0.

Should I just use version 12 (no longer officially available), or can anyone suggest a way round this?
DidierSpaier

Re: installing vmware - gcc version

Post by DidierSpaier »

mimosa wrote:Should I just use version 12 (no longer officially available), or can anyone suggest a way round this?
I would use version 12. But I am using VirtualBox with the binary installer they provide and am happy enough with that.

You can get it from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Take the last one on the list:
"All distributions (built on EL5 and therefore do not require recent system libraries)"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I've always used VBox in the past, but remembered that djemos recommends VMWare. My only real reason for preferring the latest version is because older ones downloaded elsewhere might be compromised.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Try this as root and see if it works.

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

tar xf vmmon.tar

tar xf vmnet.tar

cd vmmon-only

make

cd ../vmnet-only

make

cd ..

mkdir /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc

cp vmmon.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/vmmon.ko

cp vmnet.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/vmnet.ko

depmod -a

/etc/init.d/vmware restart
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

I am puzzled.

I just installed vmware 14 from this page :
https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/fre ... layer/14_0

then I have setup a VM and begun installing an OS in it, without issue.

I just included the -I (ignore errors) when running the bundled intaller. IIRC I had to do the same with version 12.

I have gcc 5.3.0 from Slackware.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I also upgraded vmware from 12 to 14 without problem in slackel which has gcc 7.2.0 without issues. I also always use --ignore-errors.
But i found the previous method for users who had problems with vmware. I do not know, how is mimosa's system or maybe has done any upgrades ?
I downloaded the full vmware 14 including vmware-player from https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/detail ... rPId=18498 official site.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

That didn't work for me (building the modules). As you say, it is all too likely some change I made to my system at some point.

djemos, is there any real disadvantage to using the free version? I haven't tried it yet, but my hunch is it will just work.

I can't remember exactly what it was VBox wouldn't do last time I tried it, but it was something to do with USB storage. I'm hoping VMWare may be better.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I too am now really puzzled. I tried installing both Player and Pro in a largely vanilla Salix 14.2, with the same gcc version problem. Now I tried version 12 of the Player, exactly the same, including when I went back to the very first "minor" version, 12.0.0.

I have that familiar feeling that I must have done something really, really stupid ...
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Download the vmware 14.0.0 from this link https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/detail ... rPId=18498

Then read the email i have send you.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I still get just the same message about gcc.
Here is the sha1 sum of the download:
e8bfdedd81b1076d0e3dcd62d0bed23e3bcbc1f9 data/Downloads/VMware-Workstation-Full-14.0.0-6661328.x86_64.bundle

But what I am seeing is the same for all versions, anyway. I strongly suspect user error.