Salix 14.2, can't boot to multiuser [not solved, gave up]

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mario

Salix 14.2, can't boot to multiuser [not solved, gave up]

Post by mario »

I successfully installed Salix 14.1 from a USB stick onto my Thinkpad X200. I was super-happy to see that even my wlan was perfectly recognized, so I started browsing around with Firefox. But apparently this version of Firefox was too old to play youtube videos, so I decided to upgrade everything. I ran
sudo slapt-get --update
sudo slapt-get --upgrade

and everything seemed to proceed smoothly, though I have not followed carefully the message in the console.

When it was all over, I rebooted and now I am stuck at
Starting system message bus: /usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen --ensure ; /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system

I can't even get a text prompt (I tried Ctrl+F1-F12). It's just there, stuck, doing nothing.

Could anyone please help?
Last edited by mario on 5. Nov 2017, 21:54, edited 3 times in total.
mario

Re: After upgrade to Salix 14.2, I can't boot to multiuser a

Post by mario »

The only thing it seems to respond to, is Ctrl-Alt-Del. That's the only interaction I have with the machine - I can reboot it when it hangs at "Starting system message bus". :( This is very sad.
westms

Post by westms »

In the headline you write Salix 14.2, but in the text Salix 14.1. Which version is it now? Version 14.2, I think.

Are you using Salix(64) Xfce 14.2 DVD ISO or SalixLive(64) Xfce 14.2.1 DVD ISO?
mario wrote:When it was all over, I rebooted and now I am stuck at
Starting system message bus: /usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen --ensure ; /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
Not much is running at this time. After the launch of dbus-uuidgen, next is Blutooth, then Wicd or NetworkManager. Then Net2.

I can imagine that something went wrong with the update / upgrade and now it gets stuck after dbus-uuidgen. Did you customize the URLs for the repositories? For Salix(64) Xfce 14.2 DVD ISO, the URLs in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc point to a no longer supportive host.

If you have to reinstall, I would do it, then, after first linux restart, run the command:

Code: Select all

sudo reposetup -l
Only then think about updates / upgrades.
mario

Post by mario »

westms wrote:In the headline you write Salix 14.2, but in the text Salix 14.1. Which version is it now? Version 14.2, I think.
Yes, I upgraded from 14.1 to 14.2. I went back to read my post, and I am pretty clear that I installed 14.1 and then tried to upgrade.
westms wrote: Are you using Salix(64) Xfce 14.2 DVD ISO or SalixLive(64) Xfce 14.2.1 DVD ISO?
I am using Salix Fluxbox x86
westms wrote:
mario wrote:When it was all over, I rebooted and now I am stuck at
Not much is running at this time. After the launch of dbus-uuidgen, next is Blutooth, then Wicd or NetworkManager. Then Net2.

I can imagine that something went wrong with the update / upgrade and now it gets stuck after dbus-uuidgen. Did you customize the URLs for the repositories? For Salix(64) Xfce 14.2 DVD ISO, the URLs in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc point to a no longer supportive host.
Yes, I did edit the slapt-getrc file, commented out the repos in it and added
SOURCE=http://slackware.uk/salix/i486/slackware-14.2/:OFFICIAL
SOURCE=http://slackware.uk/salix/i486/slackwar ... /:OFFICIAL
SOURCE=http://slackware.uk/salix/i486/14.2/:PREFERRED
SOURCE=http://slackware.uk/salix/i486/extra-14.2/:OFFICIAL

as per https://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_up ... .1_to_14.2 (i486 architecture section). I think I did everything all right. I WISH I made a mistake, because that would explain something.
westms wrote: If you have to reinstall, I would do it, then, after first linux restart, run the command:

sudo reposetup -l
Only then think about updates / upgrades.
So..... my install is fuxored and I have no way to saving it?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I'm guessing that you missed something in the HOWTO. Probably the obsolete packages section and now it tries to load the obsolete udev? You could try to fix it by accessing your installation through a chroot I guess.
mario

Post by mario »

gapan wrote:I'm guessing that you missed something in the HOWTO. Probably the obsolete packages section and now it tries to load the obsolete udev? You could try to fix it by accessing your installation through a chroot I guess.
You are right, I missed that.
How do I access my installation through chroot? It's a laptop.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Boot with Live and do something like this:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7437&p=43123&#p43123
adapting the partition according to where yours is. (Obviously, ignore the part about lilo.)

To leave the chroot when you are finished, type

exit
mario

Post by mario »

I will do as you say, but will I have trouble running spkg -d udev without network? EDIT: apparently not - I'm running the command in the chroot as we "speak".

EDIT2: aaaaaand... it's stuck at the same place after reboot.
mario

Re: Salix 14.2, can't boot to multiuser [not solved, gave up

Post by mario »

EPILOGUE

I decided to download the .iso image of Salix 14.2 Xfce (x86), write to a USB stick, and just nuke my old installation.
elcore

Re: Salix 14.2, can't boot to multiuser [not solved, gave up

Post by elcore »

One reason I could think of is that something went wrong with patching procedure.
Note if you can repro this by patching expat-2.2.2-x86_64-1_slack14.2 and not dbus-1.10.8-x86_64-2_slack14.2, then there was probably a network error before the upgrade was complete.
If you patch both of these packages, it shouldn't happen anymore.