WiFi worked in 14.1, doesn't work in 14.2 [Solved]

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mario

WiFi worked in 14.1, doesn't work in 14.2 [Solved]

Post by mario »

I decided to install Salix 14.2 (Xfce 32 bit) from scratch. All WiFi networks have been detected, but every time I type in the password for my WiFi network, nothing happens. But in Salix 14.1, the WiFi worked flawlessly!

For the record, the security is WPA2-PSK I am not given the option of selecting the security type in Salix 14.2.

What should I do?
Last edited by mario on 5. Nov 2017, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
mario

Re: WiFi worked in 14.1, doesn't work in 14.2

Post by mario »

I solved the problem by installing Wicd from the repositories

Code: Select all

slapt-get --update
slapt-get -i wicd
and then I stopped the networkmanager and started wicd

Code: Select all

service stop networkmanager
service start wicd
This solution was suggested to me by mimosa. Thank you very much!

I would kindly suggest to the Salix developers to please include wicd with Salix next time. It just works (for some of us), why remove even the option of installing it? If you have no wifi, there is a good chance you have 0 access to the repositories. So have networkmanager be the default if you really must, but include Wicd locally so one doesn't have to reach to the repositories for it.

Also, talking of options, it would be nice if I could select a different search engine, not just DuckDuckGo, in Firefox. I could do that in 14.1, why not in 14.2?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

select a different search engine, not just DuckDuckGo, in Firefox.
You can, but you may need to add it as an addon first. Then if you want to change the default back and forth, click on the magnifying glass to the left of the search box, then "Change search settings".
mario

Post by mario »

I tried that by following the link in the Firefox settings, but that link lead nowhere. I am not saying there is no way to add this add-on, but there was no way for me to discover it. The changing of search engines via clicking on the magnifying glass is, of course, trivial and well known. Even to me :lol:
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Here's one I found by searching - and you can search others on that page. For example, I also found Bing :mrgreen:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ch-engine/
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: WiFi worked in 14.1, doesn't work in 14.2 [Solved]

Post by mimosa »

I don't think that's the solution here (wireless rather than ethernet).

But I'd repeat the suggestion: first thing to try if you have network problems in 14.2 is probably switching to Wicd. It may not solve the issue, but in many cases it does, and it is simple to try.
mario

Post by mario »

mimosa wrote:I don't think that's the solution here (wireless rather than ethernet).

But I'd repeat the suggestion: first thing to try if you have network problems in 14.2 is probably switching to Wicd. It may not solve the issue, but in many cases it does, and it is simple to try.
After using Wicd for a while, I can't but see it as a far superior to what's shipped with 14.2. It boggles the mind that the developers wouldn't include it at least as an option.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

mario wrote:After using Wicd for a while, I can't but see it as a far superior to what's shipped with 14.2.
You are not the only one. "NetworkManager" is just another RedHat crap, and in my opinion the fact Slackware adopted it as the default network managing application cannot be justified by any means. Slackel uses Wicd by default, but sadly Salix follows the father distro and just uses "NetworkManager". Not only it's a buggy application but even its name reminds me practices used by Micro$oft... "NetworkManager", as if that's the only network manager out there.

What I do is to install Salix in minimal graphical installation (which does not include any network manager and in general it's much better than full installation, if you ask me). Then I install Wicd, simply because it works flawlessly.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
mario

Post by mario »

Papasot wrote:
mario wrote:After using Wicd for a while, I can't but see it as a far superior to what's shipped with 14.2.
You are not the only one. "NetworkManager" is just another RedHat crap
Why am I NOT surprised! Everything that emanates from that company is tainted and turdified.
Papasot wrote:What I do is to install Salix in minimal graphical installation (which does not include any network manager and in general it's much better than full installation, if you ask me). Then I install Wicd, simply because it works flawlessly.
This is OK if you have access to the repos via Ethernet, but what if you only have Wi-Fi?