Android Studio, problem updating the app & creating the AVD

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Android Studio, problem updating the app & creating the

Post by mimosa »

Normally, multilib is used when you need to run 32-bit applications in a 64-bit system. The method I linked to is a different approach that doesn't impact your main system in the same way, though it does take up a bit more room. I'm not sure whether it will work in this case, but it seems likely it will.
Themis

Post by Themis »

I see… I must avoid I did not understand exactly the procedure. The trick would be to install a 32-bit version of Salix not in a VM, but in a directory? I can’t see how that would make any software understand that 32-bit stuff are available, but that’s probably because this is a field I don’t master.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I suggest you follow gapan's suggestions. Downoad the bundle (from the website) making sure you have the latest one, and that you do not use sudo or root powers. See if it works. If not, try installing multilib with djemos's script as mentioned by gapan above. It isn't the cleanest solution but it is the simplest and is unlikely to cause you problems; also it is quite possible that as gapan says this software requires multilib (rather than just 32-bit libraries).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Multilib is just as fine in Slackware as it is in Arch. Well, maybe it's a bit easier in Arch, because it gets updated with the system and it's probably officially supported there (I don't really know, is it? ). But in principle, in my opinion, it's just a fine mess there too.

And yes, with a chroot, you can install a "separate" 32bit system inside your 64bit system, without a VM. Or another 64bit system in your 64bit system. You could for example create a debian chroot somewhere in you HD and connect to that and run a debian system "in parallel" with your salix/slackware/whatever. They would just be sharing the running kernel, the one from the "host" system. It really is very easy to do it and in my opinion is the cleanest solution if you want to run any 32bit applications in a 64bit system.

FYI, you can use salix-chroot-install (available from slapt-get/spi/gslapt) as described here:
https://github.com/gapan/salix-chroot-install
to create a salix chroot within your salix system.

But, android-studio requires multilib. It won't run properly (at least some features will be missing) if you run it in a pure 32bit or a pure 64bit system as I wrote before, so a chroot is not a solution in this case. Although... in order to keep your main installation clean from multilib, you could create a 64bit chroot and add multilib to that instead!