bluetooth speakers - RESOLVED

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: bluetooth speakers - SOLVED

Post by ChuangTzu »

congratulations Mimosa, and how does the speaker sound?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

It's perfect for the purpose - to listen to people talking on the radio in the bath. I haven't tried it with music or a high volume. I think it says in the comments that it doesn't have a lot of bass, which for me, is a plus.

It now connects fully automatically, too.

It did take some time to arrive from China though.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I've just bought some new speakers, and I'm having what may or may not be a different problem. They connect, and are seen by pusleaudio, but no sound. I tried again with the speaker I was experimenting with when I originally posted this question, and it's the same, it looks as though it has worked, but no sound.

The only thing I can see above that may be relevant is this is not happening:
After some time, it asked me whether I wanted to "always authorise" the speaker - to which I said yes.
I'm using Ratpoison, with blueman in the tray. So I've yet to try command line tools but IIRC, when I did so before, I hadn't got so far. The bluetooth part is working (and I can see by an indicator light on the speakers that they believe they are connected, too). Just no actual sound.

EDIT

It works in VLC - by selecting the right output in Audio -> Audio device. So the problem isn't bluetooth, it's getting the right output, for example, watching online video, or using anything other than VLC. EDIT2 ... and I now see you can do that in Pulse under "Playback".
galmei

Post by galmei »

I don't know how pulseaudio appears under Ratpoison, I use Xfce, but there will probably be a (graphical) configuration option.

If you do not (cannot) use the 'PulseAudio Panel Plugin', you can still install pavucontrol and call it once to redirect the data stream to the desired destination. The data stream should then automatically be flexibly routed if the destination changes.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: bluetooth speakers - RESOLVED

Post by mimosa »

Thanks for your response, which crossed with my editing my own post. I'm not sure about the flexible routing, but anyway, you are quite right that this can be controled in pulseaudio. You can call its GUI with pavucontrol, but it can still be pretty pigheaded, whichever WM you use.
galmei

Re: bluetooth speakers - RESOLVED

Post by galmei »

mimosa wrote: 4. Jul 2020, 15:14 I'm not sure about the flexible routing, [...]
Three years ago, a friend had a similar problem. I could help. Back then, pavucontrol brought healing.
After a pavucontrol launch, the output was redirected once to the Bluetooth speaker. Since then, even after reboot, it's been redirected to the Bluetooth speaker whenever it's connected. If the Bluetooth speaker is not connected, the audio output on the PC is automatically used again and vice versa the Bluetooth speaker, if the pairing is done again. This is what I meant by flexible routing.
mimosa wrote: 4. Jul 2020, 15:14 You can call its GUI with pavucontrol, but it can still be pretty pigheaded, whichever WM you use.
You're right, of course. But in the past you have used Xfce for easier configuration. If that was helpful and still possible now, maybe it will help again. It would be interesting to know if the settings under Ratpoison are kept, and which configuration files would be involved and how.