[SOLVED] RTL8192EU Driver

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mMontu

Re: RTL8192EU Driver

Post by mMontu »

zelkizwitami wrote:Problem solved.

I downloaded kernel source from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ and unpacked archive into /usr/src. Then:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/src/linux-4.4.19
make mrproper
zcat /proc/config.gz> .config
make prepare
make scripts
This helped me to install VBox additions, thanks!
Only one small detail missing:

spi -i bc
Otherwise the `make prepare` fails, with an error about `timeconst.h`.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: RTL8192EU Driver

Post by gapan »

zelkizwitami wrote:Problem solved.

I downloaded kernel source from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ and unpacked archive into /usr/src. Then:

cd /usr/src/linux-4.4.19
make mrproper
zcat /proc/config.gz> .config
make prepare
make scripts
And finally:

cd /usr/src/rtl8192eu-linux-driver
make clean
make
make install
All done! :)
No, you're not done. This might seem like a solution but it isn't. You can stay with that kernel version but there is a reason an upgrade is provided in the repositories. Upgrading all kernel packages to their latest version and installing the kernel-source package would have fixed your problem properly.
mMontu

Re: [SOLVED] RTL8192EU Driver

Post by mMontu »

thanks gapan! I see your point. Despite it is working for the moment, it'd be good to know the proper fix when the problem happens again.

Do you know if there is documentation about the procedure of upgrading all kernel packages?
I've searched on google and on the user documentation (https://docs.salixos.org/wiki/Category: ... umentation), but it is still unclear.

From https://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_compile_kernel:
Before going ahead, it may be easier (and will in many cases be sufficient to solve the problem) to install the kernel from Slackware current, which will always be relatively recent.
But following the instructions there I see it is about installing kernel-huge-4.9.67-x86_64-1.txz, while your instruction about "installing the kernel-source package" would require kernel version 4.4.88.

Is this the correct approach? (just missing the correct file)
Or is it better to follow the instructions in this post? viewtopic.php?p=42551

DidierSpaier wrote:
  • Update the packages database:

spi -u
  • Make a regular upgrade:

spi -U
    This command will also list the blacklisted kernel-* packages.You can also list them this way:

kernels=$(spi -U|grep kernel)
    echo $kernels
    f you didn't remove any package, the output should look like this for Slint64-14.2 (64-bit):

kernel-firmware kernel-generic kernel-modules kernel-huge kernel-headers kernel-source
    And like that for Slint-14.2 (32-bit):

kernel-firmware kernel-generic-smp kernel-generic kernel-huge kernel-headers kernel-modules kernel-huge-smp kernel-modules-smp kernel-source
  • If that seems OK upgrade all these packages with a command like:

spi -i $kernels
    or just substitute $kernels with the blank separated list of packages to be upgraded.
  • Then, you must upgrade your bootloader, else Slint won't boot anymore!
    If you are running the installed huge kernel do this:
    • lilo users, be sure that the correct kernel and initrd be referred to in lilo.conf, then check the output of this command:

lilo -t -v
      then if all goes well type:

lilo
    • elilo users, to copy the kernel and possibly thee initrd to the EFI System Partition type:

eliloconfig
Notes:
  • If you are using a generic kernel with an initrd you should rebuild the initrd before running lilo and/or elilo. Remember that to use a "generic" kernel instead of a "huge" one you need an initrd, that should be referred to in /etc/lilo.conf.
  • Always check that /boot/vmlinuz be a symbolic link to the kernel you want to use before running "lilo" or "eliloconfig".
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

If you are running a non-mp kernel (ie, kernel-huge or kernel-generic) then after installing the kernel-header and kernel source packages you need to apply a patch to fix the headers and sources to be able to compile modules for your kernel

Documentation for applying this patch is here http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware ... README.TXT
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

laprjns wrote:If you are running a non-mp kernel (ie, kernel-huge or kernel-generic)...
Which begs the question: why are you running a non-smp kernel? What is your CPU?
mMontu

Post by mMontu »

I'm sorry but I don't know much about kernel types.
I'm asking how to upgrade after a fresh install, where I can see the following packages:

ls /var/log/packages/kernel-*
/var/log/packages/kernel-firmware-20160823git-noarch-1_slack14.2  /var/log/packages/kernel-huge-4.4.19-x86_64-1_slack14.2
/var/log/packages/kernel-headers-4.4.19-x86-1_slack14.2		  /var/log/packages/kernel-modules-4.4.19-x86_64-1_slack14.2
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

To upgrade to the latest kernel do the following:

$ sudo slapt-get --update
$ sudo slapt-get --install kernel-huge kernel-headers kernel-modules kernel-firmware 
Before you reboot, you are going to need to update the bootloader. If you are using lilo, then do the following:

$ sudo lilo -v
If you are using elilo (not likely since you are using the non-smp kernel, ie old hardware) do this:

$ sudo eliloconfig
After your bootloader has been updated, then you can reboot. If you want or need to build some kernel modules ( i.e drivers) then you will need to install the kernel-source package.

$ sudo slapt-get --install kernel-source
Since you are using a non-smp kernel, you are going to need to patch the kernel-headers in order to build modules. Assuming that you have upgraded to the 4.4.88 kernel you can find the README and patch for this here : http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware ... -nosmp-sdk. You can accomplish this by doing the following:

$ cd cd /usr/src/linux-4.4.88/
$ sudo wget http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware-14.2/patches/packages/linux-4.4.88/linux-4.4.88-nosmp-sdk/linux-4.4.88-smp-to-nosmp.diff.gz
$ sudo wget http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware-14.2/patches/packages/linux-4.4.88/linux-4.4.88-nosmp-sdk/patch-to-non-smp.sh
$ sudo sh patch-to-non-smp.sh
Once this is done you will be able to build and install modules without problems.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

@mMontu
you can follow the steps posted by laprjns in the post above mine. You don't have to do the last block of 4 commands, as you have a 64bit installation, not a 32bit one as zelkizwitami.

@zelkizwitami
Follow all the steps posted by laprjns. But also do post what your CPU is. I'm fairly certain you should have no reason using the non-smp kernel. All major CPUs manufactured after around 1997 support SMP instructions!
westms

Post by westms »

gapan wrote:But also do post what your CPU is. I'm fairly certain you should have no reason using the non-smp kernel. All major CPUs manufactured after around 1997 support SMP instructions!
zelkizwitami wrote that he uses a HP T5700 ThinClient with CPU Transmeta Crusoe i586. But that can not be right. The CPU in the HP Compaq Thin Client T5700 has a Transmeta Crusoe TM5800.

The processor itself is a 128-bit VLIW processor. It runs a software emulation of the x86-CPU including MMX, called code morphing. Implemented is the full i586 instruction set. For the i686, only the NOPL instruction is missing. If the kernel used is configured and compiled to trap and emulate long-NOP instructions, then any i686 software should be able to run.
mMontu

Post by mMontu »

@laprjns @gapan thanks!!

One more question: is it easy to include a gcc upgrade in this process?
According to this post the gcc upgrade is somehow linked to the kernel packages.