stuck after kernel update {solved}

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
jpg153
Donor

stuck after kernel update {solved}

Post by jpg153 »

All,

I was about to bring my machine up to the latest kernel, Nvidia, VirtualBox versions etc.
The nvidia installed is already the latest one.
The kernel prior update was 4.4.38.
I updated along this:

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get --upgrade
sudo slapt-get -i kernel-huge-4.4.88-x86_64-1
sudo slapt-get -i kernel-headers-4.4.88-x86-1
sudo slapt-get -i kernel-modules-4.4.88-x86_64-1
sudo slapt-get -i kernel-firmware-20170914git-noarch-1
then

sync
sudo lilo -v
sync
After reboot, all seems fine until X should get up. The system cannot start the graphical system.
So I thought, it might be the nvidia driver having been built against the former (.38) kernel and would need a rebuild.
So I tried this with the known procedure.
However, the driver exits the build with an error, telling me about a ḱernel version mismatch.
https://w1.minpic.de/i/5stn/hi6ct
Looking into the log file, it seems there is still a route to the old .38-kernel.

How can I fix the situation?

Is the Nvidia driver still preferred on old Nvidia cards (GT430) or ist he nouveau driver an option now?

If the kernel version is an issue, do I need to recompile VirtualBox as well?
What else do I need to consider?

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by jpg153 on 21. Dec 2017, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Gruß
jpg
westms

Re: stuck after kernel update

Post by westms »

jpg153 wrote:All,
Greetings!

You did not describe why the nVidia driver is in use. If no high requirements for 3D applications or "ingenious" games have to be fulfilled, the Nouveau driver is more than sufficient. I have no knowledge that older nVidia cards (GT430) are not supported. Is this your experience?
jpg153 wrote:How can I fix the situation?

Is the Nvidia driver still preferred on old Nvidia cards (GT430) or ist he nouveau driver an option now?
Three steps:

First, you can check if the Nouveau driver module is still blacklisted. In the directories /lib/modprobe.d or /etc/modprobe.d, there would have to be appropriate files. If the Nouveau driver module is still excluded from use, then it can be assumed that kernel and nVidia driver module no longer fit together. If the exclusion configuration is lost with the installation of the new driver module package (I do not know if that can happen), the blacklisting of the Nouveau driver module can be manually restored. For this you need some experience with the command modprobe. This will let you see if the loaded Nouveau driver module blocks the nVidia driver module.

To check the suitability of the current Nouveau driver, or even having a graphical user interface again, you can allow the Nouveau driver module to be loaded again and the nVidia driver module blacklisted. In addition to this organizational change, make sure there are no more files in /etc/X11 than possibly xorg.conf-vesa and in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d no more files than 10-keymap.conf are stored. After my recent experience, the nVidia driver module installer places configuration files in these two directories that do not match the Nouveau driver.

If you still want to use the nVidia driver module, you first check whether a newer nVidia driver is available and really needed. If necessary download. Then the used nVidia driver package is compiled again. This requires the kernel sources package to be installed.
jpg153 wrote:If the kernel version is an issue, do I need to recompile VirtualBox as well?
Probably yes. Please read this:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7218
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6893
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You don't mention the kernel-source package at all. You need to upgrade that too along with all the others. So I'm guessing that is your problem.
elcore

Post by elcore »

Some cards weren't working properly a year ago, but now they're supported by nouveau module.
When my card was not supported I had to use the binary which caused a lot of problems in the long run.
For example, every time the kernel, xorg, or mesa got upgraded, I had to clean up the driver manually.
Every time I went to build something to do with glx, it would not compile because the binary replaced parts of mesa.
Sometimes the mouse input didn't work as expected, what happened is the GPU driver messed with input drivers to set "silken mouse" or something.
Onboard sound broke a few times, guss what; the binary installs HDMI driver for the card which conflicts with motherboard HDMI driver.

Since nouveau added my cards to the list; framebuffer, hardware decoding, acceleration now works so I've no reason to use binary module.
It still needs binary firmware in most cases, but the most important thing is that it doesn't break compiles.
I just extract "EXT_FW" from installer and put in /lib/firmware/nouveau here's some relevant info:

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/NVC0_Firmware/
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

Dear all

thanks for your answers.

I never had an issue with the NVIDIA binary driver, but maybe its better to go to nouveau for the ease of maintenance & care :-)

Gapan, you are probably right! Maybe I was a bit too fast rather than precise! Will try to fix it this evening and report.

Thanks so far.
Regards Gruß
jpg
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

Hi Gapan,

you were right (as always :D ) - with the kernel sources updated all is fine :idea:

Thanks
Regards Gruß
jpg