Up to 14.2 with problems.

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
sparxfly

Up to 14.2 with problems.

Post by sparxfly »

I just installed Salix 14.2 after being with 14.1 for a while.
Is there something I should read?
It seems that the root is no longer used.
The first user has the root privileges. But I can't install multimedia codecs because i am not "authorized".
Also the 14.2 upgrade mirrors are not accepted.
When I enter su or sudo into the terminal, the password is not accepted.

Any pointers gratefully received.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Up to 14.2 with problems.

Post by gapan »

sparxfly wrote:Is there something I should read?
Yes. You could start with the startup guide, linked from the main page. Then you could search the wiki and forums for your problems. They are all answered there.
sparxfly wrote:It seems that the root is no longer used.
It has been more than 4 years since we made that change. In other news, dinosaurs are no longer alive.
sparxfly wrote:The first user has the root privileges. But I can't install multimedia codecs because i am not "authorized".
You need to be a member of the wheel group to use sudo.
sparxfly wrote:Also the 14.2 upgrade mirrors are not accepted.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7254
sparxfly wrote:When I enter su or sudo into the terminal, the password is not accepted.
Which password is not accepted? su and sudo are not the same and cannot be used interchangeably. See previous answer.
sparxfly

Post by sparxfly »

Hey, thanks for all these answers. I'm working on it.
I have been using 14.1 for a long time and I didn't know about the new root changes. But I do know about the dinosaurs!!
I did make myself a member of the wheel group as soon as I booted up but it made no difference. However i will try again, and again.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Wait. Did you upgrade your installation from 14.1 to 14.2, or did you do a clean install of 14.2?

In any case, we had already switched to sudo in 14.1, so even if you only started in 14.1, you should have had sudo used by default already. Unless... this is an even older installation, a 14.0 system that has been upgraded to 14.1, which in turn was upgraded to 14.2. Even then, there would be no need to use sudo and your system would continue to use su (and ktsuss for GUI prompts), so you shouldn't have any problems.